Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 MPC '79 Pontiac Firebird

Casey

Obviously the hoods and decals are different, is the rest of the kit basically the same?

Yes, they are basically the same kit, with some parts differences as you noted, as well as the wheels and the turbocharged engine. I can't recall if the Blackbird kit included smoke-tinted glass or not, but I want to say it did. Hopefully that specific model kit fad is gone for good.

It's been a while since I had the Blackbird kit, but I was a little underwhelmed by it to be honest. It seemed typical of late '70s MPC kits, with decent but not super crisp details. The decals were really nice, though, and the finished kit does end up looking quite like the real thing. The underside and engine are the weak areas in the kit from what I recall.

I'm guessing Round2 did not acquire the licensing necessary to use the "Trans Am" name this time around, so who knows, maybe we'll get some type of combination of both kits/versions.

Edited by Casey

Yes, they are basically the same kit, with some parts differences as you noted, as well as the wheels and the turbocharged engine. I can't recall if the Blackbird kit included smoke-tinted glass or not, but I want to say it did. Hopefully that specific model kit fad is gone for good.

It's been a while since I had the Blackbird kit, but I was a little underwhelmed by it to be honest. It seemed typical of late '70s MPC kits, with decent but not super crisp details. The decals were really nice, though, and the finished kit does end up looking quite like the real thing. The underside and engine are the weak areas in the kit from what I recall.

I'm guessing Round2 did not acquire the licensing necessary to use the "Trans Am" name this time around, so who knows, maybe we'll get some type of combination of both kits/versions.

Casey, are the t-tops molded open on this kit? Or must they be cut out as with some of the other MPC kits?

I was never a fan of t-tops on full-scale cars, and don't prefer them on my models either.

Casey, are the t-tops molded open on this kit? Or must they be cut out as with some of the other MPC kits?

I was never a fan of t-tops on full-scale cars, and don't prefer them on my models either.

The T-top roof panels are separate parts:

Looks like the 1/16 scale MPC '79 Pontiac Firebird kit is being reissued as kit #862. Hopefully it's the "Turbo Blackbird" version and not the 10th Anniversary T/A version.

80tamd15.1.jpg

Please let it be this one, or the "Trophy Series" black one. Though, I am sure it will be the silver one. :( I had the 1/25 version of the silver one, and it was awful! 

Also good to keep in mind it dosen't have to be black. 

As far as I can see, the gold decals were available with almost all the body colors that year with the exception of silver, charcoal grey and orange. 

You could even get gold decals on a gold car.  

I have an unbuilt Blackbird. If I ever get around to it I think I'll do it in either dark blue or burgundy. Just with I had a clear set of glass for it instead of the dark smoke set.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but I saw this on the Round 2 webpage. It looks as though it is the trophy series Firebird or the Blackbird kit in gold with the anniversary hood and intake/carb`d intake engine. Thoughts?

MPC862-06-1979-Firebird.jpg

Shaker hood, honeycomb wheels, and a gold hood bird.  Happy dance time!

I'd be willing to be someone north of the border built that box art beauty. :wub: Non-"smoked"/tinted "glass", too, it appears. Fist bumps all around! :lol:

I'd be willing to be someone north of the border built that box art beauty. :wub: Non-"smoked"/tinted "glass", too, it appears. Fist bumps all around! :lol:

Thanks, Casey;

The box-art kit actually sat on my bench for a few weeks while the guys at Round2 searched for the honeycomb wheel insert.  Nice to have parts in the box that enable you to build a "regular" T/A as opposed to the one-color-scheme-only anniversary version.      

I'm hoping they include decals in different color schemes like they did with the 1/25 version.  The hood bird shown on the box was applied (or photoshopped) after the fact.             

Edited by pack rat