Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '59 El Camino

Casey

Yup, that's them, the kit mag's have a shallow off set. Thanks for the info.

Would be nice to have a set of those in scale again.  At least I don't think there's a currently available kit with that style - correct me if I'm wrong.

Always nice to have one more alternative to Torq-Thrusts and Cragars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a few '59 El Caminos in my stash, don't remember seeing a slide in camper in any of my issues. I have a '65 El Camino that must be a reissue since the plastic is yellow. The camper shell represents an aluminum three peace shell.  

I have a few '59 El Caminos in my stash, don't remember seeing a slide in camper in any of my issues. I have a '65 El Camino that must be a reissue since the plastic is yellow. The camper shell represents an aluminum three peace shell.  

The camper only came in one issue of the 59 Elcamino. That issue is fairly scarce compared to most of the others. The small topper in the 65 Elcamino to my knowledge has been included in most versions of that kit. The latest retro box art version of the 65 Elcamino also had the camper shell included in the box. No other issue of the 65 that I have had included the camper.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 9:15 PM, Don Sikora II said:

Was hoping it would have this artwork. I'm a fan of AMT's Seventies Street Rod series, and the El Camino art is fantastic.

I agree. Hopefully the '65 El Camino will follow in similar packaging.

Interesting that they changed the font to Cyclone for this release, too.

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, Casey said:

I much prefer the 'vertical' box and the '60s style three-version box art:

amt59elcosellsheet.jpg

One HUGE problem with that narrower "vertical" kit box!  It was packed so chock full of parts, that a very high percentage of the kits reached hobby shop shelves with the cab roof crushed to one side.  It was one of my tasks as an employee of the then-Weber's Hobby Shop here, to open, inspect each and every one of those kits that came into the store, then reseal the ones that were OK, then attach a preprinted business card informing purchasers that their kit was inspected, in-store.

Art

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, Casey said:

I much prefer the 'vertical' box and the '60s style three-version box art:

Resurrecting another Thread From The Dead!  

In search of a slump-buster, I just popped open a '59 El Camino in that "vertical" box.  Heads up: if you have a kit in that box, you might want to open it.  Along with the roof posts possibly being bent, that little box causes other problems.

The roof was OK on mine, but the chrome tree was seriously bent. It was jammed in halfway on the bottom of the box and sort of leaning against the side, with all the other parts on top of it. And had been that way since 1997, when the kit was re-issued in that small box. Haven't checked every part yet but nothing seems to be broken or damaged.

I'm hoping to build this as a well-used, beat-up handyman's vehicle, with the "big camper" on it.  The camper that was issued only once with the '59 El Camino, back around 1969.  

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2021 at 6:39 PM, Casey said:

Here it is, molded in one of the early issue's(?) blue color:

AMT59ElCoGeeGaws.jpg.9eb4cc08c466ff318e51b3a6beb50949.jpg

What is the kit source of the parts I've numbered 1 and 2? I could use one of those chrome grilles, especially.

parts.jpg

(1) tube grille might be from a '62 Galaxie kit.  The "buried" one is probably from something else, not enough visible to tell for certain.  AMT put that type of grille in a lot of kits back then.

The (2) piece is an Advanced Custom front end piece from a '63 Mercury.  If you are able to latch on to the custom leftovers from a '63 kit (hardtop only has those Advanced Custom bits) the more common '64 body can be modified to accept the front end parts.  '63 rear end parts will fit the '64 as-is.