Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '59 El Camino

Casey

It is nice to see this one back. I got the re-issue of the 3 in 1 Trophy series a few months ago, it has the flip-up tonneau  cover and bed rails, but no camper. Having no current '59 Chevy on the market leaves an unusual gap in a long line of Chevy kits.

.......correct me if wrong here, but I think the camper in that 69 box issue is exactly the same as the one offered in the various 65 El Camino kit's that had one included....my Buyers Choice 65 issue from around 1998 or so has the camper......my point....even if this 59 we are awaiting does not include one, they seem pretty common to grab one way or the other, if they fit the pickup box the same...just a thought....the Ace...^_^

Love those '59 El Caminos......................have a couple in the stash. Had a local garage with one in the field behind it. It had a tree sharing the engine bay with a 348. I tried to buy that thing once a month for what seemed like years. No go. The owner died, and the entire field of about 150 cars was gone in under a week...............tin cans. Dang!

.......correct me if wrong here, but I think the camper in that 69 box issue is exactly the same as the one offered in the various 65 El Camino kit's that had one included....my Buyers Choice 65 issue from around 1998 or so has the camper......my point....even if this 59 we are awaiting does not include one, they seem pretty common to grab one way or the other, if they fit the pickup box the same...just a thought....the Ace...^_^

You got it. Exact same camper. Actually fits the 59 better than it fits the 65 IMO.

You got it. Exact same camper. Actually fits the 59 better than it fits the 65 IMO.

....you know, Chris, now my memory has been jogged, it does fit the 59 better....my friend built the 59 a zillion years ago, and I recall thinking when I built my 65 that his did seem better  on that aspect ....good point......the Ace....:D

Actually, I believe that Camper came in the 64 Annual than the 65 Annual El Camino kits

And I believe it fits the n64/65 better as it would have been tooled for it

I too thought it had originally been in the 59, but was wrong

Also testing one in a 59 showed a poor fit

The Bunk Underside sits directly on the ElCo's Cab Roof

NOT good in real life!

You would create a Dent in the Steel roof or Crack the FiberGlass of the Camper

Unless the Skin of that camper is Aluminum.

That would still Dent

And with all the Scraping, Think of how much paint would be rubbed off Both!!!

I need to try the fit again. I am trying to remember if the Camper sat fully in the 59's Bed

or was held Up off near the front due to the Resting on the roof

THAT would cause the camper to completely fail -- Break apart while riding down the road

Definitely NOT something you want!!!

I* know that only the Small bed cap was in the Construction issue 65 ElCo Twin to the Crew Chief Blazer

That one stayed in the kit til the Buyer's Choice I THINKI

Or was it the Nostalgia issue that finally gave us back the full Camper???

Which one is included now??

Why not both??

Actually, Shell MIGHT be Steel, Aluminum, or Fiberglass

But 2x4 Framework in there!!!!!

Watch "How It's Made"  and see Travel/Camping trailers being produced

They Still use 2x2 & 2x4 framing!!

And even  Plywood panels!!!

That AMT El Camino Camper would be a Mid even Early 60's piece, so NO Space Tech material

in that one

ALL OLD-School Framing, etc

Steel likely Steel, But MIGHT be Aircraft grade Aluminum too

as Jets were out from Boeing & McDonald-Douglas/DC

But would cost been prohibitive???

Cap shells had 2x4 Frame work in the Mid-late 80's as I measured one back the

to create a model of for some of my pickup kits

Have the Drawings ready to go!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I wonder if Round2 will restore the mag's that were originally in the kit. I don't mind the 70's style wheels (Centerlines?) The mag's would be nice to see back though.

Were they Torq-Thrust or maybe Astro style 5-spokes? I figure Round2 might include a re-tooled set of mages they include with the '67 Charger reissue, or maybe the '69 Barracuda.