Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Road Commander Aerodyne

"Frankenstein" is really taking shape well.  Truly original.  I can just imagine some "hard luck/newbie" bed bug hauler back in the 70's with such a creation.  The poor fool bought some womped out piece of junk and is just pouring good money down the tubes trying to make it into something it was never was....but I digress and speak far too personally. 

"Yeah it is an aerodyne with a 8V71 turned up to 2800 RPMS" he boasts....meanwhile every pothole causes the electrics to go out and lets not discuss the leaks that result in a occasional waterbed.

Making it all about ME - it just needs need belts on the tag drive them ala Winn Dixie and other bottom feeder fleets back in the day and the air deflectors that were common on the front just above the headlights on these things....chromed.....of course.

Really great work.  This has got to be one of my favorites. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the comments guys!!

I actually opened some glue today after what seems like forever. This was meant to be an easy project to get ready for the Highbinder, but it seems to have taken a turn. This one will not have quite as much detail as my last build. I would like to finish more than one build this year.:D

Here's what I've gotten so far.

IMG_2663 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_2662 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Thanks for all the comments guys!!

I finished the interior bucket today. I left the back of the drivers seat hollow because it can't be seen once the bucket is in the cab. This is the bucket from the Back Yard Shed 7400 after I modified the dog box.

IMG_2699(1) by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_2694 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_2692 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Surely one of my favorite builds to watch!    Original and VERY well done!  The "mismatch" tag axle spokes are just perfect!

I am still going to hold out for the poor man's belt drive on that tag axle. 

Besides the model, the old telephone on your workbench is pretty cool too!   .

THE REVENGE OF ANALOG!

It is a great piece of work my friend. Thanks for sharing.

Peace.

Thanks for all of the comments guys!!

Surely one of my favorite builds to watch!    Original and VERY well done!  The "mismatch" tag axle spokes are just perfect!

I am still going to hold out for the poor man's belt drive on that tag axle. 

Besides the model, the old telephone on your workbench is pretty cool too!   .

THE REVENGE OF ANALOG!

It is a great piece of work my friend. Thanks for sharing.

Peace.

Thanks J.C. my next project (Highbinder) Will have a belt drive on the tag. It was actually in the plans before I started this one.

As for this one, my goal was a 1980 era "Johnny Cash" truck (one piece at a time). An owner operator who is struggling, but picks up a part here and one there. With that theme, parts have been used from multiple kits, and you're right. I couldn't resist mix matching the spokes. Wait until you see the gold carpeting on the walls and ceiling. :D That is, if it turns out. Nothing says 1980 like some gold shag carpet.

As you can tell by my phone, I'm stuck in the past.

Thanks again everyone!!

Now THAT will be one to watch. 

Below can be your "prototype" for its stereo system mounted in the sleeper? Trying to keep the needle from jumping might be a problem but hey, just throw in an 8 track when rolling.  It would make long layovers at Big Bob's Truck Stop entertaining.  I found it headed to the landfill and have been refurbishing it for the past month and after seeing your old phone, thought you (and some other analog fans) might find a bit humorous.  No disco allowed.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

Thanks Mark!

JC "olsbooks" reminded me of a major oversight on my part. It is possible that the driver hadn't loaded up for the trip yet, so the; suit case, thermos, cooler, water jug, and snacks, etc. might not be found in the truck yet, but there would surely be a few 8-tracks laying around. I have some great memories of riding in the 79 KW my dad drove listening to a Merle Haggard 8-track.

I corrected the problem. There's Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash on the heater box. Dave Dudley will be in the player over head. Here's what I have so far:

34579440576_974f17e658_h.jpgIMG_2712 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Thanks for the reminder. And by the way, I have a working 8-track player in my kitchen.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Well there ya go my friend.  You could probably sell them not only to us old vintage trucker modeler sorts but the 4 wheeler modelers as well.

I place my order for Cledus Maggard and the Citizen Band...(song - White Knight) in 1/16 scale for the Bison project. 

Peace

No Jerry Reed? :o

"They call you the Bandit"....

Sorry no Jerry Reed. Maybe He'll make it into my next truck. I had to have Merle though. The only reason I chose the Johnny Cash tape over some of the rest was because it was red.

Well there ya go my friend.  You could probably sell them not only to us old vintage trucker modeler sorts but the 4 wheeler modelers as well.

I place my order for Cledus Maggard and the Citizen Band...(song - White Knight) in 1/16 scale for the Bison project. 

Peace

Believe it or not, we have several 8-track tapes, so I just took the dimensions and scaled them down and cut them out of styrene. The labels were internet images of actual 8-track labels scaled down and glued on. I forgot to do a search on Cledus though.

Here's my Am/Fm Stereo 8-track player. It will be mounted to the ceiling over the driver. The paint on top is not finished since it will be glued to the ceiling.

34512161051_0d48cb8f36_b.jpgFullSizeRender(51) by Brian Smith, on Flickr

34512164551_ada03e624b_h.jpgFullSizeRender(52) by Brian Smith, on Flickr