Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor Perfect Match Primer question?

All Duplicolor products I'm aware of are lacquer-based, to go with their touch-up colors.

The "primer sealer" is thin and has no scratch filling or build qualities compared with the other primers.  I've applied it as a final primer coat over other primers once the item is ready for paint.  If I've got something with bodywork on it (filled sink marks, prepped parting lines) I'll brush scratch filler primer or sandable primer over just those areas, then wet sand smooth.  Then the whole body gets primed and smoothed up, and after that it gets a quick blast of the sealer primer.  That gets smoothed up with some wet sanding (without breaking through anywhere) then the color goes on.  The sealer primer does seem to keep sanding scratches from showing up later.  That's my experience with it, yours may differ.

I've used both the scratch filler and sandable quite a bit. The scratch filler isn't really that thick - unless you spray it on really...thick. The scratch filler, however, in my experience, is not as "hot" as the sandable and does not ghost nearly as much as the sandable...but, I also have experienced some adhesion issues with the scratch filler. After priming, sanding, priming, painting, I have had masking tape peel paint - primer and all - when I used the scratch filler as a base. Could be random - but the sandable definitely does not peel. So the sandable is my go to. 

I've used the Scratch Filler Duplicolor several times. Definitely thicker than Tamiya primer but it's not really thick enough to cover a lot of detail. Scripts and Emblems are still plainly visible after several light coats. I like full-wet coats but not the spray-it-till-it-runs kind of coats... You really need to shake the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of the can, it settles out pretty quick.

It does NOT sand as well as Tamiya primer though. It will clog paper like it's a little on the soft/gummy side of things.

The hold-out seems pretty good though.