Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Don Gay Pontiac Catalina, finished

MarkJ

Thank you Mark for adding the link.  Very good work and I would like to try this myself.  If you don't mind, I'll add this page to my favorite list so I won't loose it.  Dan

No problem , Dan. I wouldn't even know if you hadn't told me. No permission needed. Hope it works okay for you.

Kit: Amt

Paint: Scalefinishes  Ensign blue metallic

Decals: Homemade by me on my computer. Inkjet.

The summer of 1964 was a fun time in my life. I was 13 years old. Two years earlier, my family moved from our home in Virginia to Texas. My father worked for NASA. The space center was built on pasture land that Lyndon Johnson owned south of Houston,

We lived nearby in the small town of Seabrook on Galveston Bay. It was a very exciting time as my family got to share in the beginning of the space program in the 60's. My best friend invited me to go with him and his father to the drag strip in Dickinson, Texas.

The stars of the show just about every Saturday night were Don Gay and his brother Roy. Their father owned a Pontiac dealership in Dickinson. Their cars were much better than their competition. So, they would always end up in the final stock eliminator race at the end of 

the evening's races. Don, seventeen at the time, drove an A/stock 1962 Pontiac Catalina. His brother, Roy, drove  a B/stock 1964 GTO. It was always high drama when they lined up for that final race at the end of the evening. The model I have built depicts Don Gay's

Catalina. I hope to find a 1964 GTO model. I would like to build Roy's car, also. Like I said, it was a very fun summer for me. I hope you enjoy this model as much as I enjoyed building it, and the history behind it.

Great story.  Beautiful work.  Excellent bare metal foil and decal work. Do you have a decal program?

62donltftup_zpsds9auvv4.jpg

62donltflat_zps4xceivae.jpg

62donltrearup_zpsqryu22dr.jpg

62donrtrearflat_zpsyyuahhwj.jpg

62donrtup_zpsunc1lgiu.jpg

62donftftflat_zpsa7sk2mrr.jpg

62donltengine_zpsxrtjoknp.jpg

John, I use an old Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0 to create the decals. I had to keep my old computer going because the program does not work with

windows 8. So I have two computers on my computer desk. One for the internet and one for my projects..

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was a young & newly stationed in Dickinson Tx. as a State Trooper (1984). My Apt. complex was located next to the Drag Strip (now gone)  that Don Gay started racing on. His family's car dealership "Gay Pontiac" was also located in the same area as this old Drag Strip. I became friends with many of the folks in the town & the Gay family was one of the first group that really treated me with open arms. I even moonlighted there as Security on some of my nights off. What was cool was that Mr Gays son 17 & still in Highschool, began racing like his Dad. On many of those nights I worked for them, 12-6am, I would watch those mechanics thrash on his Racecar  getting it ready for their next race. Such a great racing history with the Gay family.

LEBIII

Edited by Droneoutlaw

I was a young & newly stationed in Dickinson Tx. as a State Trooper (1984). My Apt. complex was located next to the Drag Strip (now gone)  that Don Gay started racing on. His family's car dealership "Gay Pontiac" was also located in the same area as this old Drag Strip. I became friends with many of the folks in the town & the Gay family was one of the first group that really treated me with open arms. I even moonlighted there as Security on some of my nights off. What was cool was that Mr Gays son 17 & still in Highschool, began racing like his Dad. On many of those nights I worked for them, 12-6am, I would watch those mechanics thrash on his Racecar  getting it ready for their next race. Such a great racing history with the Gay family.

LEBIII

Yes, The entrance to the Walmart store on fm646 is where the starting line to the drag strip was. Every time I go to Walmart I think about the great times I had going there in the sixty's. Sorry most of the pictures of this build went away thanks to photobuckets greed.

62donrtrearup.jpg