Model Cars Magazine Forum

F1 Car Launches - 2017

The blue and gold look great together. Looking forward to the rest of the launches this week.

The rest of the schedule:

21st February: Renault, London
22nd February: Force India, Silverstone
23rd February: Mercedes, Silverstone
24th February: Ferrari, Fiorano and McLaren, Woking
25th February: Williams, TBA
26th February: Toro Rosso, Red Bull & Haas, Barcelona

The blue and gold look great together. Looking forward to the rest of the launches this week.

The rest of the schedule:

21st February: Renault, London
22nd February: Force India, Silverstone
23rd February: Mercedes, Silverstone
24th February: Ferrari, Fiorano and McLaren, Woking
25th February: Williams, TBA
26th February: Toro Rosso, Red Bull & Haas, Barcelona

I renamed the thread so we can put all the new season's cars in one place.

Renault has launched its new car -- the R.S.17 -- at an event in London.

After finishing ninth in last year's constructors' championship, president of Renault Sport Racing Jerome Stoll said the team is targeting fifth place in 2017 with its new car before making further steps up the grid in the following seasons. Nico Hulkenberg joins Jolyon Palmer in the team's new driver line-up.

The car features the distinctive wings and wider track mandated under this year's new regulations and is fitted with Pirelli's new wider tyres. It also features the thumb-like appendage on the nose to meet regulations regarding the height of the tip.

The R.S.17 was designed under technical director Bob Bell and is the first to be developed from the ground up under his leadership since Renault retook control of the team last winter.

The livery features Renault's corporate yellow, but also a large proportion of black bodywork towards the rear.

The team's managing director Cyril Abiteboul said: "For 2017 we are perfectly placed to take the step forward we all desire. The R.S.17 is the result of many long working hours spent over our two integrated locations and the result is a car we can be proud of. We have a strong line-up of personnel at all levels of the team and we're proud to see Nico and Sergey [Sirotkin, reserve driver] join Jolyon in 2017.

"We are joined by a strong group of partners with BP, Castrol, MAPFRE and SMP Racing representing the best pre-season sponsorship acquisition campaign in the paddock. We are the fastest growing F1 team and we now need to prove our performance on track. Our objective is to score points at every round."

The R.S.17 is the third F1 car to break cover this year after Sauber and Williams released images of their cars.

Force India unveiled its 2017 challenger, the VJM10, at an event at the Silverstone circuit on Wednesday.

The VJM10 is the latest of 2017's new cars to be unveiled, one Force India hopes will build on its best-ever finish of fourth last season. To do so Force India will need to master the new regulations, which feature wider cars, chunkier Pirelli tyres and modified wings.

The livery of the VJM10 is more silver than its predecessor and features the long shark fin which has become a characteristic of the new cars. Most striking is its unique nose design, a radical departure from those seen in the Williams, Sauber and Renault cars released so far, and a steep bump further up.

The car was unveiled by Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon, the team's drivers for the upcoming season. Ocon has replaced Nico Hulkenberg following the German's move to Renault, while Perez has been with the team since 2014 -- scoring at least one podium in each of his three seasons with the team.

AFX, this offseason break has been the most tumultuous one I can remember sense I started paying attention to F1.

I'm really ready to see any team take on Mercedes, I don't even care who as long as its McLaren-Honda:D

So far the cars look fantastic, Its interesting to see how the teams interpret the new regs.

It is interesting that McLaren, after 35 years of use, has dropped the "MP4= McLaren Project 4" designation. Is this to show that they are starting a new chapter with MCL23? I'm not sure where the 23 designation comes from, as last year's car was the MP4-32.

I am a die-hard F1 fan. Have been since 1976 Grand Prix East (Watkins Glen), and always will be! LOL

Edited by Bill Eh?
added content

From ESPNF1:

"The switch back to the colour, long associated with McLaren and its early days in motor racing, has been rumoured and teased for months since Zak Brown took over as team CEO following Ron Dennis' departure from the McLaren Group. The break from the Dennis era goes further than the livery, with the 'MP4' prefix --standing for Marlboro Project Four and used for its F1 car names since Dennis' arrival in 1981 -- dropped in favour of the all-new MCL."

Edited by afx

What I find interesting is that all of the cars I have seen so far, EXCEPT Mercedes, has the extension after the air intake above the cockpit.  This must be for down force; perhaps in the turns.  Mercedes had the field covered for the last few years, so the lack of this one body part may not have that much influence.  But, it will be fun to watch who is right on this.