Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mt Washington Cog Railway #9

I finished up my second O scale Cog Loco.  I went all out with this one, super detailing and weathering.  It started as a Shapeways 3D print by Roger Hahn, printed in FUD.  Details added include oil lube lines, control linkage, firebox door, whistle, brake linkage, etc.

164998450.jpg

164998451.jpg

164998452.jpg

164998453.jpg

Thin rope sticking out from the right side is connected to the coach as a way for the crew to signal the brakeman.

As we New-Englanders say: Wicked pissah!

It is really shame that they replaced these awesome smoke-belching monsters with Diesel locos (except for occasional steamer run).

It's all about profits.  The average visitor doesn't care, in fact, they prefer the cleanliness of the bio's.  With the electric switches and diesels, they can get more people up the mountain in a shorter time.  Last season, they set a record for number of passengers carried.

There have been plans for a few years now to add a second steam trip and it appears that this year it will happen.  The daily morning steam is almost always sold out so that says something in spite of the premium fare.