Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1961 Ford Galaxie Styline

Againmikewins

Last year I purchased this '61 Ford Galaxie Styline kit. I didn't know much about it, other than the fact that it was a Galaxie and I love Galaxies! I was pretty bummed at first to realize that it's not very detailed and has no engine or chassis to assemble and the interior is very simple. None the less, I decided that it would be a nice kit to try some different techniques I had learned on the forum. Also an excellent opportunity to practice my painting skills. 

12509371932455-vi.jpg

This was the first kit that I had tried to scribe the panel lines and add depth to them. I went a bit overboard and ended up gouging the hood. I had some Testors putty laying around and it just doesn't work right for me. I tried the Tamiya putty and it seemed to work great! I'll add some Vallejo acrylic black wash to the lines and see how that goes!

The body has been primed with Rust-oleum plastic primer. I also wanted to try a different brand/type of primer, so I figured I'd use it. So far, it wasn't laying down too thick. I have to sand down the putty and spray a second coat. We'll see how it goes! Here's the body thus far!

58509332558765-vi.jpg

35509332535442-vi.jpg

27509332587305-vi.jpg

53509332553013-vi.jpg

18509332578324-vi.jpg

I'll add some more later on! Thanks for looking and as always, feedback is appreciated! 

That is a very old kit from long ago, but the body seems to have the proper proportions. I have seen where others on the Forum have built this kit using the chassis and engine from the AMT '60 Ford Starliner kit. Just a thought if you should want to go into greater detail. Your scribe lines look good. Primer can fill those up pretty fast sometimes.  

That is a very old kit from long ago, but the body seems to have the proper proportions. I have seen where others on the Forum have built this kit using the chassis and engine from the AMT '60 Ford Starliner kit. Just a thought if you should want to go into greater detail. Your scribe lines look good. Primer can fill those up pretty fast sometimes.  

That's an idea that I've considered in the past, but just decided to build it curbside. I should also add that the original styrene body that came with this kit was badly damaged from something falling on the box. I replaced it with the body from the AMT Slot Car series that came out in the late 2000's. It's not made of styrene.