Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can Bare Metal be cleared??

You can clear over BMF but why bother?  It sticks years and years after application.

I originally asked due to the fact I messed up and started BMFing a car and had it most of the way and then realizing I didn't clear the car first...... darned Part Timers gets me from time to time!!!!!!! Anyway I cleared it today and it worked ok, now I have to finish foiling it and finish building it!!!!!

Like Steve and NIck, I don't clear over my BMF.  As part of creating the illusion that your model is a 1:1 car, there are minute differences in the "shine value" between bare BMF and clear coat.  Clearing over everything destroys that.  If you don't understand that, or if you simply don't care, carry on!

I've never had BMF come off a model.  I have BMF jobs that are 20-25 years old and are perfectly intact.  When people have complained that it comes off, I question their application.  I generally find that these are people who lift BMF to reposition a too small piece,  use the portion that their fingers have touched, or peel off the excess and return it to the sheet for reuse.  BMF should be placed on a model  ONCE.   If you relift it, reuse the excess or touch the adhesive with your fingers, it's toast.  And that's why your BMF comes off.

Edited by Tom Geiger

When people have complained that it comes off, I question their application.  I generally find that these are people who lift BMF to reposition a too small piece,  use the portion that their fingers have touched, or peel off the excess and return it to the sheet for reuse.  BMF should be placed on a model  ONCE.   If you relift it, reuse the excess or touch the adhesive with your fingers, it's toast.  And that's why your BMF comes off.

Either that, or it it is being applied over rough or "grainy" paint.

I have never had any issues with foil coming off of a body in the many, many years that I have been using it.

The only problems I have seen with foil not sticking well is on an occasional interior where I've used flat paint, or the paint has a texture to it.

Even then, a little bit of clear acrylic applied over the foil with a brush takes care of the problem.

I have also found, like Tom, that pieces of excess foil returned to the backing lose their adhesive properties very quickly if not used right away.

Steve