Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Shelby GT350 Custom (8 Apr *Under Glass*)

taaron76

Nice Tim. Definitely my fav Mustang of all time. Thanks for showing the set up for your opening doors. What do you use for the hinge itself? Any chance on a small tutorial on the material and the bending?

If the '68's any indication, another great build coming our way.

Looking forward to more.

David

I built this kit in October last, way better kit than the amt 68 Shelby.  I'll be watching your build very closely. 

Keep up the good work!

Night and day difference between those two kits.  Hopefully this one will be easier... I am planning on a 5.0 Coyote for this build.

Tim

I ordered a new airbrush and wanted to try it out, so the '67 Shelby got some primer. I've never been big fan of spending hundreds of dollars on an airbrush, especially since I get amazing results with my Badger 350, but this was well worth the money... and half off, not to mention I love the gravity fed system and trigger style action. All of the doors and trunk are cut and hinged. I created the door jambs and got the inner door panels aligned. this one was a chore to recreate the new door jambs, based off of how the kit aligned up, so it was tricky. I also filled in the front bumper and cut the old grill out for the new photo etch one I ordered. A couple of small defects to fix that I noticed after the primer dried, but nothing major. Attached is a pic of the color scheme that I am going for, with the exact same wheels that it has, but I will add the 3-bar spinner to it. The only other difference is that it will be a matte finish, versus gloss, and I haven't exactly figured out if I will stripe it the same way, but it will be striped. This Shelby will also be getting the Coyote 5.0 in it as well, if it fits. Thanks for looking!

Tim

FullSizeRender58-vi.jpg

IMG_0551-vi.jpg

I was able to easily get out a few of the imperfections during the primer coats. I sprayed the base coat of Eleanor Metallica Black that will be taped up/off for the stripes. Once its taped, I will spray the Dodge Green with Envy over the top of it, leaving the stripes showing with the black.

Tim

28509925568838-vi.jpg

Nice Tim. I like the new air brush, Cant wait to see the final paint you lay with it.

Thanks, Jim.  Unfortunately, it will have to wait until the weekend.  I will be out on business in Hawaii for the rest of the week.  I know, I know... but, someone has to do it.  :)

Tim

Nicely done, having the doors open inside the fenders instead of swinging out. Most guys opening doors get this little detail wrong.

I can't remember who it was off the top of my head, but someone in this forum gave me that nice hinging tip a few years back.  Cutting the door and trunk out is a chore, but once you do one like that, it's hard to let one slip through your fingers without doing it again.  It takes some planning and elongates the build, but I think it adds so much more detail than not opening them up.  This one was a challenge, no doubt, but well worth the effort.

Tim