Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Shelby GT350 Custom (8 Apr *Under Glass*)

taaron76

After a few weeks, I was able to make some progress on the '67 Shelby. I got the wheels and the bumpers painted the same as the body colors. I am going to trim the two front bumpettes off of the front bumper though. Seems like it will flow better that way.

FullSizeRender63-vi.jpg

FullSizeRender64-vi.jpg

FullSizeRender48-vi.jpg

Thanks everyone!  I am still undecided on which engine to use, which is the stock 302 or the 2013 Coyote Boss 302.  The suspension will have a working 4-link with a modular rear-end, but that is about as far as I have planned out just yet.  I need to order a bunch of parts for it today, enough for the build to go in two directions.  I can also start applying the black BMF for the trim today as well.  Something to keep me busy since I already snow plowed the driveway and sidewalks today at my house from our winter storm.  

Jim - We did more relaxing, playing games, eating and sitting in front of the fireplace to enjoy the peace and quiet than we did hitting the slopes.  It's been a weird winter for us in the D.C. and Virginia area this year, so not a lot of snow on the slopes, but we did manage to find some snob tubing routes that were open.

Tim

Tim, great work so far, and WOW that color is a real standout! B)

Yeah, getting the doors opening correctly is a big undertaking with me whenever I want to add that detail. I can search pics for quite some time in search of views which will show how the doors open. Some cars can fool you into thinking that the doors turn inward when indeed they swing outside the fenders. A 1970 Oldsmobile Toronado for instance comes to mind............ ;)

Tim, great work so far, and WOW that color is a real standout! B)

Yeah, getting the doors opening correctly is a big undertaking with me whenever I want to add that detail. I can search pics for quite some time in search of views which will show how the doors open. Some cars can fool you into thinking that the doors turn inward when indeed they swing outside the fenders. A 1970 Oldsmobile Toronado for instance comes to mind............ ;)

Thanks, Bill!  I am watching your latest Mustang build as well.  That's a lot of work!!!!

There aren't many doors that swing out, versus in, but it seems most of the Olds in the mid 60's to early 70's did that.  I never would have guessed it, with the exception of the older 20's and 30's cars.

Tim

The 5.0 Coyote Boss just didn't want to cooperate with shock towers and doesn't fit. I probably need less than a millimeter of clearance, but don't want to go down that road right now. When I did my test fit, it was tight, so I must have slight moved something to change the tolerances when I glued it together. I'm alright with the stock 302 that came with the kit. I'll use this one on another Ford build.

Tim

50511299170174-vi.jpg

Well shucks TIm. Shame it didnt wanna cooperate with ya. I've run into that myself a time or two with mods that acted fine till but were tight on test fit and then didnt wanna fall into place during assembly.

Oh well... Gives me more detailing to do on the original 302.  Parts are in the mail, so no real progress on the engine until this weekend or next.  I need to get started on the black BMF trim though.

Tim

Sorry about not being able to use the Coyote engine Tim. I will say that SB 302 looks great man! I really like what you're bringing to the table with both of these Mustangs.

Thanks, Joe!  I have to put an oil filter in it.  Seems they forgot to put one in this kit.

Tim

engine and brakes are looking good Tim. What PE kit did you order for the brakes

Thanks Jim!  Here are the details of the brake kit. They work great for the front, but probably a little too big for the rear. These barely fit into a 19" wheel.

1/24 Hobby Design HD03-0210 Brembo Brake System 6 Piston Calipers & 380mm Discs

Thanks Jim!  Here are the details of the brake kit. They work great for the front, but probably a little too big for the rear. These barely fit into a 19" wheel.

1/24 Hobby Design HD03-0210 Brembo Brake System 6 Piston Calipers & 380mm Discs

Thanks for the info Tim. I'll look them up.