Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Orange Clunker Car" - MPC General Lee

crowe-t

Here's a build I finished last year.  I know it's another General Lee but I had some fun with this one.  I built this using a Round 2 issue of the MPC General Lee kit but did a lot of modifying and used parts from a Revell '69 Charger.  Even some of you non-Dukes fans might like some of what I did. :lol:  The front wheels steer using the Revell parts.

This build sort of represents how the car looked in the early Georgia filmed episodes.  The push bar is scratch built and the decals represent the early look of the car.

Here are finished pictures and I'll show some in-progress pictures.  It's painted Testors Custom Lacquer Hugger Orange with Testors Custom Lacquer Ultra Gloss Clearcoat on top.

IMG_7572_zps6gfcswep.jpg

IMG_7574_zps5kiqveqk.jpg

IMG_7577_zpsafk5cddv.jpg

IMG_7579_zpsbipafgfm.jpg

IMG_7581_zps5taxjyqi.jpg

IMG_7582_zpsdegj7rnz.jpg

IMG_7586_zpsb2xlmdrw.jpg

Here are some pictures showing some of what I did during the build up.

I started by re-shaping the rear window to more closely match the '69 Revell Charger which is very accurate in this area.  The MPC GL's rear window is too small and basically a rectangle.  I enlarged it and re-shaped the top.  In this first picture a Revell '69 Charger is on the left side and the MPC Charger is on the right side before the window was modified.

IMG_5848_zpsdogf2jun.jpg

IMG_5887_zpsdlwugfko.jpg

I used parts from a Revell '69 Charger chassis I picked up cheap on E-Bay.  I considered using the Revell chassis but it didn't fit well with the MPC interior tub.  

IMG_5881_zpsgprxiw8a.jpg

IMG_6037_zpsojvxzy7a.jpg

I closed off the rear area.  This area wasn't too sturdy out of box.

IMG_6056_zps4b8cqqtu.jpg

IMG_7572.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

I used a hood from an MPC Charger 500 kit which is a correct '69 hood.  The MPC GL kit comes with a 1970 hood for some reason.

IMG_6066_zps9qwkwjqt.jpg

I sanded down the inner engine compartment wells and scratch built the shock towers and used a firewall from a Revell '69 Charger.

IMG_6081_zpsx9zyamdq.jpg

New grill inserts were scratch built using some ribbed sheet.

IMG_6041_zps2glchfjq.jpg

The rear end and exhaust from the Revell Charger were also used.  The exhaust did need to be cut down around the rear to fit the MPC chassis.

IMG_6105_zpsxufqtp6z.jpg

A magnet was glued under the trunk area for the CB antenna.  I wanted to be able to remove the antenna in case I needed to pack it away at some point.

IMG_6191_zpshzf7vj9a.jpg

I scratch built the pedals and used the heater core from a Revell '69 Charger.  Arm rests and molding were added and a hole was drilled for the 'Charger' emblem.  These were all missing from this kit.  This car has a 727 Automatic Transmission so a new shifter was made.

IMG_6225_zpswaf45tkq.jpg

IMG_6238_zpsnzx5gfid.jpg

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

Here's a couple pictures of the interior.  The roll bar and CB radio were scratch built.  I added some styrene to the top of the dash where it meets the windshield, raised it up and angled it to more closely match a real Charger.  The MPC dashboard sat too low and there was no angle at all.   

IMG_7470_zps9i9by9ef.jpg

IMG_7481_zps7lb0jyvw.jpg

IMG_7463_zpsp3wdoms2.jpg

The engine is a 440 with a 727 transmission.  I got this from a friend and don't know exactly what kit it's from.  Possibly an AMT kit.

IMG_7487_zpsz4obtitc.jpg

I sprayed the bottom gray with some Testors Acryl Neutral Gray lightened a bit with white and misted the body color over the edges.  I was a bit heavy handed with the body color but this was the first time I tried this.  The front engine compartment area was masked off and sprayed the body color both inside and underneath.  It's not factory correct but I had seen a restoration of a real '69 Charger done this way and I liked how it looked. 

IMG_7191_zpsrjqelkov.jpg

IMG_7485_zpsgw41fz58.jpg

IMG_7463.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks guys!

Brian - This body with the indented rear window was actually used for the AMT/ERTL Fast & Furious Charger.  Round 2 released all of these kits with this body.  However the rear window isn't correctly sized and shaped.  I opened it up a bit and re-shaped it and feel it looks a bit better.

David - Most of the interior(seats, door panels, floor) are painted with Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow.  The dash board, steering wheel, front kick panels and rear speaker deck are painted with Testors Acryl Leather with a few drops of Dark Tan mixed in.  Tamiya Desert Yellow really seems to match the look of the Saddle Tan interior of a '69 Charger.  The dash board, steering wheel, front kick panels and rear speaker deck were a bit darker in a 1:1 Charger.

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Mitch and Alan for the kind words!

Mitch - I had fun modifying this kit and working out some of the kinks.  The Round 2 body isn't all that bad.  In fact the height of the grill and slope of the nose is more accurate than the '69 Revell Charger.  There is something about the MPC body I like. Some of the Revell Charger's details are also a bit heavy handed.   That being said the Revell Charger is a much better and more accurate kit.  The MPC kits chassis is crude but it dates back to the 1968 Charger release.  This was a bit of a challenge and fun to do.  I like projects like this.

Edited by crowe-t

• 4 weeks later...

Here it is! And i missed it - thank you Mike, to give me the hint to your General.

As you know, i am working on the same kit, with nearly the same modifikations...your early General looks reeeeeeeealy realy good to me. Great Job Buddy! Great Job!

You did a wonderful job, thanks for the work in progress photos. I'm not that familiar with the Dukes car and would have overlooked the subtle changes you did to the body & frame.  The casual observer would assume the kit came that way, your building skills make it seem like it came that way, nice build !