Model Cars Magazine Forum

STOCK 1932 FORD STANDARD 5 WINDOW COUPE 1/8 SCALE

f1ford48

HELLO everyone, I have missed you all ,been away for a spell working on 1/1 scale cars-now I am back with another kit bash for us all to enjoy. after my last scratch build- 1906 Locomobile ''OLD 16''- I am now into even bigger scale -namely 1/8- what ever I can'' scratch up''

I located a 5 window body [second] from the late Mike Gradis.  by the way- he was always very helpful to me with his large inventory of big scale parts-sometimes sending me stuff for free or shipping.he was a great guy

a fellow named John Hockney I met a few years back at NNL west supplied the stock Flathead parts -he does them in resin. the wheels will be the original Kelsey -Hayes wire spokes taken from Lindbergs Hot Canary T. [had to locate 3 kits to get 5 skinny wheels and tires]

so- now I will start to bring a Hot Rod 1/8 scale Big Deuce  BACK  to the way HENRY built it. any suggestions and critique are welcome.............

20170211_143942.jpg

20170211_144050.jpg

Edited by f1ford48
incorrect title

working on the engine now- trying to get it as stock as possible including the color.  could not find a fan in the parts box so I scratch built one-easier than I thought.   the intake was set  up for triple carbs so the 2 ports were sawed off and filled and re contoured.the fuel pump and oil fill are also resin from John H. on the bottom the oil pan was filled and detailed around the drain plug because it was 2 piece and had a glue seam running down the length. last shot is next to the HAWK 1/6 scale 1948 V8-a very nice model.

20170216_144400.jpg

20170219_000619.jpg

20170220_141428.jpg

20170220_141558.jpg

20170218_143320.jpg

thanks guys and welcome..this IS going to be stock-or as close as I can get it. I like period and nostalgia Hot Rods- but that's about it. - if you've seen my other builds I tend to steer towards ''drivers'' -they look more  real -I like a little  rust with my dust.  my goal is to take a photo of the finished model and have the viewer think  its the real thing...like this A pickup I did long ago.

IMG_4370.JPG

the big deuce frame is easy to bring back to stock. I will raise the front spring and replace the airplane type shocks with the original Ford Houdaille lever action shocks-taken from the Lindberg ''HOT CANARY T''

the rear end was a salt flat style ''quick change'' first I decromed it then cut out the quick change casting -filled it -sanded and added a gear oil fill plug WHALA!  back to stock.

the brake drums are too big-I want to see daylight through the wire wheels so I cut them down to original size and used PVC pipe for the drum part.also had to modify the backing plates... 

20170218_165941.jpg

20170219_171424.jpg

20170212_225908.jpg

Not sure what material it is.

Super glue seems to work pretty well with it.

Properly roughed up with 80 grit to cut through the mold release residue, body filler & fiberglass resin both get a fierce bite to it.

I've also used a 2 part epoxy putty that I get at the Ace hardware store with good success. I like it because it can be rough shaped & will hold shape until it kicks.  It was particularly handy when doing the 5 to 3 window mod on my body.

My body had some pin holes & thin spots...how about yours?

Edited by Ognib

mine is rough around the bottom   molding and windows.luckily not many pin holes.  it looks like they are both made by the same guy. checked out your build-that is amazing!  on the body I like the curve carried over from the quarter windows into the rear of the door window..

some wheel work today-for the stock hubcaps I cut the heads off of 1/4 inch carriage bolts-this gave me the dish I wanted, then I covered them with metal tape and glued them to the spinner hubcaps from the Lindberg T  kit. the V8 logo I have not decided on yet- the debossed one is not quite'' crisp'' enough to be convincing. might need to figure out some transfers for these......

20170218_143131.jpg

20170218_171009.jpg

20170218_170748.jpg

20170225_104959.jpg

I decided it would be nice for the hood to fold open like the original. so I found some miniature piano  hinges from the ''junkyard''  start by cutting the hood sides off-right below the molding. I left the hood top as one piece and carefully cut the center out for the hinge.this leaves the width of the hood top undisturbed. this way I can glue my hinge in and cut the ends later and everything should be in line-the sides don't matter as much because they fold inward

20170221_105058.jpg

20170221_104830.jpg

20170220_205759.jpg

20170221_104821.jpg

to bring this 5 window back to stock is just a bunch  of small added details- looking at period factory photos helps a bunch in creating the details. here the firewall has been filled where the Hot Rod ''beehive'' oil filter was. then  I built the windshield frame with styrene-note the small finish  moldings at the lower corners. holes are cut to add the door hinges and door handles [which I will also make up] the closed cars had a wavy door handle-much different than the open cars. then the 1/2 round molding on the roof for the top insert-and some grained material for the insert.

20170218_143249.jpg

20170212_225554.jpg

on the dash board I wanted to keep the MACHINE TURNED background.[it is stock] so I took the chrome Hot Rod firewall and cut out an oval around the 3 gauges. then drilled out the center gauge hole . then I cut the bezel out of the speedo on the 5 gauge panel. that was glued to the center-larger hole in the new panel. then I glued in the instrument faces and epoxied over the faces to simulate lenses.  the dash board was covered with sheet styrene-to fill the void of the larger Hot Rod panel- then outlined with my new panel and the hole cut for the new oval panel. then I  added the choke,throttle and panel light switches...... 

20170211_144416.jpg

20170211_144426.jpg

Thanks Guys- I am building it close as I can ....real Flathead Aficionados will notice its a later engine as well. the model will represent a car that has been on the road for 15-20 years. 

I worked on the hubcaps tonight-still not 100 percent satisfied with the ''V8''  I had insignias scaled down from hubcaps in  a parts catalog and printed on glossy paper-but they are tough to get perfectly round cutting them out.. I sure wish there were some decals out there-would be sharper than this-  but searches turned up nothing so far. also made up the taillight using the cowl lamp..........

20170303_233309.jpg

20170303_233410.jpg