Model Cars Magazine Forum

STOCK 1932 FORD STANDARD 5 WINDOW COUPE 1/8 SCALE

f1ford48

On 12/31/2017 at 8:21 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Hi Frank,  Like you I happen to like 'old school'......it is model making as opposed to model building!  Nice to get your head around the challenges of how to actually make all the parts yourself from raw materials as opposed to buying in proprietary kits and bits. Don't get me wrong, I still like building and converting kits, but having a couple of scratch built models now under my belt has given me more overall satisfaction.  Your Ford coupe looks to be coming on really well, and what a nice subject as opposed to the more exotic stuff. Look forward to following your build with interest.

Thanks Noel for the inspirational words-they have got me back into this project and I hope to have it done for the NNL west here on February 3rd

On 1/2/2018 at 6:48 PM, Cien1986 said:

Your craftmanship is like magic....

May i know what type of paint did you use on car body

Is it urethane 2k, 1k or enamel?

Hello Henry- I am a ''rattle can '' Modeler.. it is amazing how many colors are offered these days at the Hardware store.- ''my hobby shop''-      this can did not even say what type of paint but I am pretty sure it is Enamel. the paint is Rust-Oleum   painters touch 2X ultra cover     paint and primer      gloss Kona Brown.  the moldings on the coupe  were hand painted with a testors gloss black paint pen.

despite good prep and heating the paint can I still had orange peel issues.  this seems to happen to me every time with brown colored paint. it is a Mystery to me..

good to hear from a modeler so far away   !!!!! 

• 4 weeks later...

happy new year!  I now have the interior completed-all  scratch built except the seat which i ended up filling with putty to get rid of the contours. the floor mat was painted the correct taupe color. the window shade for the rear window was fun- it is an old paper rolled up with scratch brackets and pull string.. here are some images

20180201_125124.jpg

20180201_125429.jpg

20180201_125445.jpg

20180201_125459.jpg

its the small details that make a difference on a model this size- here is the speedometer cable and a scratch built hold down bracket. next was making up the throttle and choke linkages. the fabric conduit behind the fuel pump is the engine wiring from the dash.

20180201_125919.jpg

20180201_125903.jpg

20180201_195739.jpg

Edited by f1ford48
mistakes

there is a data plate on the firewall that I saw in original photos so I made one up-  cut a small piece of aluminum sheet-used a punch to make ''rivet dimples''  painted with a sharpie and then  inscribed  the patent dates and FORD script- -easy-fast and a nice touch....

20180202_113350.jpg

20180202_115704.jpg

to make the radiator hoses I used BIG gauge wire- pulled out the copper strands and shortened them so the ends would hook up to block and radiator  then inserted the strands again so the hose would hold a curve.  the copper strands come in handy for tubing [fuel and vacuum]       cut some more sheet to make up hose clamps....

20180201_195631.jpg

20180201_202240.jpg

Finally got it done-  I finished at 12 midnight Friday in time  to bring it to the NNL West Saturday.    More pics soon in the under glass section.   I am glad its done- a long project but am satisfied with the results.  thanks to all for the help and hints.   and this one is  for you Harry!

20180204_114311.jpg

20180204_114246.jpg

20180204_114214.jpg

Thanks Fellows.     It was a challenging build- I did it because I really enjoy Original Looking cars.  if any Hot Rod guys out there  have some more Lindberg Canary T  wheels and tires I need them for a new project.  and again Thanks For the advise and comments on this build.

yes they are - however in my case I needed same size front and rear so bought 3 kits.  the kit supplies skinny fronts and fatter rear wheels and tires. any one want to trade skinny's for fats -I got em.

Edited by f1ford48
grammar

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 3:12 PM, dino246gt said:

yes- the wheels are from the Canary T

On 2/7/2018 at 3:12 PM, dino246gt said:

Thanks Fellows.     It was a challenging build- I did it because I really enjoy Original Looking cars.  if any Hot Rod guys out there  have some more Lindberg Canary T  wheels and tires I need them for a new project.  and again Thanks For the advise and comments on this build.