Model Cars Magazine Forum

Larry's '62 Renault 1093 (a factory hot rod) in his words

traditional

1-P2230574.thumb.JPG.83d9b3991c5465e42ee

In the summer of 1962, as a bicycle riding 15 year old car-crazy kid living close to Montreal, I witnessed 2 very rare Renault Dauphine 1093s within the span of one week. I’ve always liked small cars but, until that week, a typical 30 HP Dauphine was perceived as somewhat anemic. That changed abruptly as this throaty, peppy 1093 zipped aggressively through town. Late that week I bicycled to the local ‘Montreal dragstrip’ where a 1093 proceeded to outperform every Mini,  MGA, Triumph, Volvo, and even a few small block automatic Chev and Ford sedans. It was loud and it was quick! Much later I learned that 3 1093s had been delivered to Montreal for preparation to compete in the 1962 Shell 4000 Rally (staged across much of Canada) where they ultimately won the Manufacturers Cup.

The very limited production race-built 1093 featured high performance suspension, an all-syncro  4 speed trans, finned drum brakes, 12 volt electrics, tuned exhaust headers, hot cam, stronger bearings, high performance cylinder head, sophisticated 2 bbl. carburetor with a dry, mesh covered air filter, virtually doubling the output of its tiny 850 cc motor. Outwardly, they were all recognizable with their off-white body and two blue racing stripes,  slightly larger diameter headlights,  modified dash panel with additional and different gauges, slightly different seat trim, Gordini-style perforated wheels, larger exhaust tailpipe, etc.  They were NOT equipped with exterior mirrors but all had chrome side trim and windshield/back light surrounds. In addition to the usual Renault name on the left front fender and the front badge, the exterior chrome graphics consisted only of 1093 symbols on the rear engine deck lid and the right front fender .

My model started as a 1/24 Fabbri 1958 Dauphine. Once stripped of paint, I carefully cut open all inoperable panels and fabricated brass hinges for all doors, rear deck, lower front spare tire access panel, etc.  All interior metal ‘attachment’ bosses were ground away and  an uninterrupted headliner was substituted.  Front / rear suspension, all lower plumbing, brake backing plates, rack and pinion steering, etc.  were fabricated in soldered brass.  A detailed, aluminum-cased transmission was made in styrene. An exhaust tailpipe was made in aluminum tubing.  A front -mounted  spare wheel was cold cast in polyester resin using a plasticene mould.  Larger front inner fenderwells were fabricated in styrene to accommodate the added steering. Tire valve stems were added to the adapted ‘Welly’ Gordini wheels which now feature inner rim detail and brake drums (front drums turned to describe  appropriate concentric cooling fins/ribs).  The miniscule motor features exhaust headers (brass), plug and coil wires, appropriate 2 bbl. carburetor with mesh screened filter (styrene and brass) and now mates to a fabricated radiator (also styrene and brass).  Front and rear wiring harnesses including voltage regulator are added (brass). The fabricated styrene  inner door panels (Including brass handles and cranks) along with the seats portray an appropriate 1093 pattern.  All exterior chrome trim is applied using various gauges of stainless steel wire.

Though this model is done in a typical 1/24 scale, it is probably the smallest, fairly detailed model I’ve built and modified. Though time consuming (2 months of reasonably steady time) the build never became tiresome and, much to my personal enjoyment, is not  ‘middle of the road’ typical. It fulfills a passion and fondness I’ve felt since that week in 1962.

1-P2230574.JPG

1-P2230576.JPG

1-P2230578.JPG

1-P2230580.JPG

1-P2230585.JPG

1-P2230586.JPG

1-P2230575.JPG

Edited by traditional

That is a great build Clifford! Especially the work you've performed on the original die-cast. I too remember the Renault Dauphine from my childhood and in the early 80s wrenched at the official Renailt dealership in Regina. Perhaps living in Canada in the 50s and 60s we saw a lot of foreign makes that werent imported into the US.

Wonderful to see your version, thanks!

Cheers Misha

Learned to drive in a Dalphine, Raced a factory R8 Gordini, that was anything but race ready. A friend did a "little work on it" and then it was very competive.  The fun thing was on the street, I really shocked some Mustangs, and Camaros. Red light to red light they didn't stand a chance. Great build of a rare and fast car.

Love these little cars, just right for our European crowded little streets.

A French model kit company called Record did a model kit of this and the more sporty looking Floride, both in 1/24 or 1/25. They sell for loads if you can find one.

Record still exist but concentrate on 1/43 die casts or resins now.

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

The very first model car I ever built was back about 1959-1960 and was a Dauphine.  As I recall, the kit was cast in a grey colored plastic.  You did a GREAT job on this one.

What tools did you use to cut open doors and etc.?   I have die cast VW bug I would like to cut the fenders off of without ruining the fenders or body.  I'm thinking of using my Dremel Scroll saw on a very low speed setting.  The model I working with has very pronounced fender welting to use as a guide.

Again, Great Job.

T

Edited by tedd60

Another super and inspiring build Larry. It looks very accurate right down to the rubber gaskets around all the glass. The upholstery turned out great too.

Also the back story as mentioned by espo explaining your inspiration for building it, really makes it all the more interesting.