Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone had this problem with Tamiya Paint?

Maybe I pulled a no no, but I never had a problem like this before.

I used Dupli Color primer,(on two bodies) then shot Tamiya rattle can over it. Looked OK, until later, when primer and body (styrene) lines seem to rise up through paint. Bought a second can, tried on a spoon with primer, second coat went good. 

Reshot bodies, again later the same thing happened.

Are these destined to be stripped??

Not unusual, especially if you rescribed the panel lines.  They often refer to this as ghosting and it happens with body work of all kinds.  The lacquer thinner in both the Dupli Color and Tamyia s causing the plastic to swell where the orignial surface was disturbed or where the plastic came together in the mold. Several light coats of paint, allowed to dry for a couple of days should stop that, but if you spray a heavy or "wet" coat on at the end, the lines may come back.  If it is not metalic paint, you can sand and recoat but build up the paint first so you are not spraying on raw plastic.  That will only make the problem worse.  A little trick to over come this is thin super glue.  A very light coat will protect the areas you worked and stop this, but you need to do that before you prime it.  I also make sure I soak putty with super glue after it is sanded and cured.  That helps seal it and it sticks to the plastic better.

I would use Pete J's suggestion using the Super Glue. I had the same problem on a '66 Chevelle wagon that I converted into a two door wagon. Even with filler that went far beyond the original door lines they started to "shadow" after about a year. Very frustrating.   

In the future, stick with Tamiya primer under Tamiya color. It won't damage the plastic like the Duplicolor did (harsh automotive spray primers are not needed under hobby sprays). That's where it all went wrong.

Since the bodies were damaged, even the mild Tamiya sprays might cause some recurrence of the crazing; it's the nature of the beast once the plastic has been compromised. But hopefully you'll be able to salvage the paint jobs with careful, light coats and good drying time in between. Otherwise you might need a sealer in between the Tamiya primer and the color.