Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 935

Looks pretty nice!  I have the Jeger one.  I got it for $35 at a model swapmeet.  It was missing the clear tree and that was it.   I was able to get the clear tree from Tamiya for $12 with shipping.   Now I just have to have some time and space to build it.

I wish I found this one that cheap. I'm ashamed to say what it cost. My wife got it for xmas a few years ago for me or I'd have never let her spend that much. But I'm glad she did bcuz I've always wanted to build one. If you wanna sell yours let me know? Lol. Thanks for looking. I am kinda disappointed I haven't gotten any more comments on on it honestly. Must not be a popular subject. Oh well. ?

Edited by Dirtracer22

It is not an easy build and to do it right is a challenge.  You have done a great job!  Congratulations.  I would know.  I've built two of them with the SMS super detail kit.  This is an old kit and stuff really doesn't fit as well as todays new kits.  Congratulations on getting through it.  Any pictures of the body?  That is one of the more impressive pieces.  

I picked-up the 'Martini' and the 'Jager' car this past year...always wanted them as a kid and finally decided to get them.  I've read the directions and peeked in the boxes but haven't started on either yet.

I'll be referencing your pictures and I especially like how you've made the fuel tank look as if it's half full with race gas...how did you manage that trick?

It is not an easy build and to do it right is a challenge.  You have done a great job!  Congratulations.  I would know.  I've built two of them with the SMS super detail kit.  This is an old kit and stuff really doesn't fit as well as todays new kits.  Congratulations on getting through it.  Any pictures of the body?  That is one of the more impressive pieces.  

Thank you very much and I am just now getting started on the bodywork. It's mostly in primer but the rear bonnet/engine cover is going to take some work, lots of filling  and sanding to do to make it look one piece. Do you have any pics of yours? I'd love to see it. 

Edited by Dirtracer22

I picked-up the 'Martini' and the 'Jager' car this past year...always wanted them as a kid and finally decided to get them.  I've read the directions and peeked in the boxes but haven't started on either yet.

I'll be referencing your pictures and I especially like how you've made the fuel tank look as if it's half full with race gas...how did you manage that trick?

thank you very much and I used clear orange from my TamIya acrylics, x-27 I think and tried to make a line very light in pencil and just brushed it on bcuz it won't be seen. Same for the other fluid tanks. Even though it's 1/12 scale it looked very intimidating when I opened the box but with a small amount of extra detailing it looks good when your done. 

Thank you very much and I am just now getting started on the bodywork. It's mostly in primer but the rear bonnet/engine cover is going to take some work, lots of filling  and sanding to do to make it look one piece. Do you have any pics of yours? I'd love to see it. 

What most people don't know is that this is a very old Tamiya kit and even though it is a great kit from the time period, it really has a number of fit issues, especially in the body.  Lots of filling and sanding required.  Here are a couple of photos from my second build that I like best.  Thanks for asking.

What most people don't know is that this is a very old Tamiya kit and even though it is a great kit from the time period, it really has a number of fit issues, especially in the body.  Lots of filling and sanding required.  Here are a couple of photos from my second build that I like best.  Thanks for asking.

cockpithighleft.jpg

spareengine.jpg

front21.jpg

Leftfrontquarter.jpg

That's incredible!! I've been looking at for reference and didn't know it was yours. If mine looks half that good I'll be happy. I wish now I'd have found a detail up kit for it. Can you show me a pic of how you put the engine cover together?

Edited by Dirtracer22

Not entirely sure what you are looking for.  I will admit on this model I glued the engine cover in place because I built an engine on a separate stand because when the body is in place, you really can't see much of the top of the engine.  It just seemed a shame to spend that much time on the engine top and then hide it.  If I recall, I did have to sand the edges of the wing down a lot to get it to fit and the top of the deck took a ton of work to hide the seams.  This is the best shot I have of the rear deck cover.  I hope it helps.

IMG_0162.thumb.PNG.37fb3db3ce698b858cecaDirtracer22,

This is spectacular work!! Very impressive so far.

There appear to be a lot of details that are not even going to be seen. Speaking of which, what is the purpose of the different colors on the brake disc? 

Coming along very well, keep us updates

Thanks for the comments. I learned this bcuz I've raced for years and worked on several large race teams over the years but I kinda got my colors wrong. It helps to determine if the brakes are the correct type for the amount of heat the cycle through during heavy use. Hope this helps. 

Wesley or do you go by Wes?  I was looking at my posts and would like to extend an apology.  I noticed a rather flat tone to my reply's and hope you didn't take offense.  Some times I get a little caught up in the detail and forget to complement people.  Your work is outstanding.  I am honored that you were using my prior work as a reference and would like to extend an offer for any detailed information of the original car or photos of my build .  You have given me a significant complement and it is appreciated.  Thank you. 

Wesley or do you go by Wes?  I was looking at my posts and would like to extend an apology.  I noticed a rather flat tone to my reply's and hope you didn't take offense.  Some times I get a little caught up in the detail and forget to complement people.  Your work is outstanding.  I am honored that you were using my prior work as a reference and would like to extend an offer for any detailed information of the original car or photos of my build .  You have given me a significant complement and it is appreciated.  Thank you. 

I go by Wes and I took no offense at all. I appreciate that your that concerned, reminds me of myself actually, bcuz sometimes print doesn't convey tone of voice so things can be misconstrued. I am never too proud to say when someone has surpassed me on a build, I like it bcuz it gives me a goal, something to shoot for. Your work is amazing and we never stop learning so we'll see how this turns out. Thanks again, class can't be faked. 

I go by Wes and I took no offense at all. I appreciate that your that concerned, reminds me of myself actually, bcuz sometimes print doesn't convey tone of voice so things can be misconstrued. I am never too proud to say when someone has surpassed me on a build, I like it bcuz it gives me a goal, something to shoot for. Your work is amazing and we never stop learning so we'll see how this turns out. Thanks again, class can't be faked. 

:D;)

I love the 935 model. Back in the 1970's and 1980"s I used to go to all the races on the east coast where the endurance cars would run. I have 12 Quartzo 1/43 scale 935 diecasts that I picked up over the years but I don't have the M & R car of yours. Beautiful job.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got something done on the bodywork. Used Tamiya TS-26 white and TS-13 clear with lots of wet sanding with 8000 grit and polishing.  It turned out ok I think. I don't typically clear over race car stripes and decals bcuz most aren't on the actual cars. 

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG