Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Mercury Eight

Is there a Revell kit of this out right now?

Anyhow I know AMT came out with one about 2-3 years ago.

Here's couple paragraphs chock full of info from Wikpedia.

'Within its era and beyond, the Mercury Eight was popular with customizers. In 1949, Sam Barris built the first lead sled from a 1949 Mercury Eight; the Eight became the definitive lead sled, much as the Ford V-8 (as the "deuce") was becoming the definitive hot rod. The Eights were among the first models to receive an aftermarket OHV engine swap, since Oldsmobile and Cadillac developed the first high-compression OHV V8 engines in 1949, whereas Ford was still using a sidevalve engine. Sam and George Barris also used the 1949 body style to build "the most famous custom car ever",[12] the Hirohata Merc, for customer Bob Hirohata in 1953. Setting a style and an attitude, it had a "momentous effect" on custom car builders,[13] appeared in several magazines at the time,[14] and reappeared numerous times since, earning an honorable mention on Rod & Custom's "Twenty Best of All Time" list in 1991.[14] The Eight remains a very popular subject for car modellers.'

Article explains WHY the AMT kit has Cadillac engine conversion.

'Lead sled' is the term for any lowered car in Southern California.

I owned a '53 Ford with the stainless band across the roof. It was a show car. Kicking myself for selling it of course.

Edited by regular guy

Interesting post..kinda.  

The AMT kit contains a stock flathead and a Chrysler wedge engine, NO Cadillac engine.

It's the Revell kit(S) that have (only) a Cadillac engine.

The "lead sled" comment is also incorrect......  

Edited by mike 51

Alexis

Go ahead. Speak.

Chrysler wedge is later than Olds and Cadillac conversions.

Guess AMT was shooting for an early 60's type customization.

Lot of guys really loved those Buick nailheads. Still talk about them. Old's Buick, same thing.

Olds 88 was known for the engine.

That's WHY Revell has the Cadillac 354 in a parts pack.

Edited by regular guy

ALL of the early Mercurys were V8s. (real ones and models)

The Hirohata Merc was a 1951.

The AMT kit was tooled in the early 60s..so you're almost right about that.

As to the rest of your post...well never mind.

Edited by mike 51

AMT last release is pretty true in spirit with the old style box it had.

'49 Merc's were used in 'Rebel Without A Cause' and 'American Grafitti'.

Rebel one was the real deal. It was black and a mild custom if any customizing at all.

Never have heard whether that was borrowed from a local custom shop or where it came from.

I'll take a look at the Revell kit.

AMT kit says it's a 440 but it most likely a 383 or 413 because 440 didn't show up until '65.

That's like a lot of the old Bucket T kits are Ford Y blocks, an early hot rodders choice.

Jimmy Flintstone has a ton of '49 Merc 'aftermarket' bodies for the AMT and Revell.

Apparently that car made a big impression on a lot of people.

It never did a whole lot for me but I was partial to '47 Cadillac's for that kind of look.

Bob this is somewhat of an easy answer. 

The Revell kit is already modified and the AMT kit has a stock  body.  Revell has a caddy engine and a lowered suspension only even the Woodie. AMT has a flattie and a dodge engine of some size in it. 

Other than that you are left looking for resin bodies. The AMT is a blank canvas to chop, cut or even add on to. 

You could look through the Under Glass section to see what kit to buy. 

Alexis

Go ahead. Speak.

Chrysler wedge is later than Olds and Cadillac conversions.

Guess AMT was shooting for an early 60's type customization.

Lot of guys really loved those Buick nailheads. Still talk about them. Old's Buick, same thing.

Olds 88 was known for the engine.

That's WHY Revell has the Cadillac 354 in a parts pack.

"Olds Buick, same thing." ?? The Buick nailheads are a totally different engines from the Olds OHV V-8s. What is the point of this thread? A lot of bad information is being passed on here. Things are getting a little confusing because of it. Let's stick to the facts. I'd love to see a thread (accurately) reviewing any one of the many '49 Mercury model kits out there. I have several, including AMT's and Revell's Custom and station wagon kits. Despite that, I still love see a review on any one of those three. Or better yet, a review comparing the the three. Hopefully with pictures.

Scott

The AMT kit is not available anymore at the 'firstline' sellers.

So instead of paying a premium for one and you are an AMT liker

how about the '53 Ford pickup?

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/amt882.htm

It's the same era more or less custom with a big block conversion.

Good way to get it 'out of your system' waiting for the AMT to be put out again.

On the other hand you could just get the Revell.

Revell has chopped top already and authentic Cadillac conversion.

Think I'll just go lay down and wait for feeling to pass.;)

I sure wish we could have a stock 51. My fav of the three years.

I prefer the 1950...I just love the dash and most of the other things on the '50, the dash is the same on the '51 but I don't like the bulky grille, the rear window opening and the rear fender extensions on the '51.

The AMT 49 Mercury are plentiful on the market even if it might be discontinued (it's still on the Round2 website tho') it has been re-issued often with mostly the same content and are not that expensive.

AMT's '49 Ford had an early Cadillac engine as the option engine, it also fit quite well in their '49 Mercury.
The Ford/Cadillac conversion was so common that it got a name, "Fordillac"
As for the Revell Parts Pack Cadillac 354...there are no Cadillac OHV V8 engine with 354 cubic inches displacement so I don't know where Revell got that number from, the Cadillac engines were 331, 365 and 390 for the '49-'62 first generation OHV, the Redesigned OHV from '63-'67 was 390 and 429 and the '68-'76 OHV was 472 and 500.

Edited by Force