Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Chevelle.

Geno

Just got this in paint this afternoon. It started out as the street machine kit. I reworked the tilt front end by filling in where the scoop was with a stock SS insert then grafted the nose on to the body. A lot of filling and sanding took place as well. I'm gonna go with some stock '69 SS wheels and tires, I just like the look of those. Done in Madeira Maroon. I love this color. I'm also using the Monogram '64 GTO chassis as they are very similar in design & same wheelbase. this is just the rough preliminary pics so be easy on me lol.[;)][:D]

Thanks guys, I understand Richard. I collect 1/24 diecast and build mostly 1/24 kits. '66 is my favorite year Chevelle and I knew the only way to get a stock looking 1/24 version would be to build my own lol..

Interesting! I suppose you know that Maisto has a rather nice "1/24" diecast '66 Chevelle, but I just checked mine and it's nearly a perfect match sizewise with an AMT '67 1/25 body, so I guess it's more 1/25 than 1/24.

There have been mutterings for years that the Monogram '66 Chevelle is actually closer to 1/25 than 1/24, too. Just since I'd like to measure it, of course I can't FIND mine right now, but I remember a few years ago I was contemplating a kitbash to get a '67 El Camino from the Revell '66 with their '67 Chevelle front end on it. Wondering, as I always do, what to do with the leftovers, I held the Revell '67 Chevelle body up to the back end of the Monogram '66 and discovered they were nearly identical in width--which means I could graft the rear end of the Monogram '66 onto the Revell '67 body and then use whichever '66 front end (Revell Elky or Monogram '66) seemed to fit best. By doing this I'd sidestep the problem of fitting and attaching that pesky Monogram flip front end AND dodge its flattened, caved-in looking roof at the same time. Someday I will get around to doing this double-organ-swap conversion, I swear!

Sounds like a cool conversion Richard. This is similar in size to the 1/24 '64 GTO, that's why i'm using the chassis from it. It slips in perfectly. You can see a hint of the red past the front fender. I had a Maisto but it was smaller in size, plus I knew I could make a nicer one out of the kit.:) The Monogram '64 GTO matches my Franklin Mint '64 GTO convertible to a T size wise. Here are some comparison pics of the GTO's and the GTO versus Chevelle.

Model Wheelbase Overall Length Width Front Tread Rear Tread Tires
Chevelle 115 in 197 in 74.6 in 58 in 58 in 6.95 x 14

Model Wheelbase Overall Length Width Front Tread Rear Tread Tires
GTO 115 in 203 in 73.3 in 58 in 58 in 7.75 x 14

Picture1429.jpg

DSCN4653.JPG

DSCN4654.JPG

Edited by Geno