Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 T-Bird Replica

Tyler62990

This was a project that was handed to me by my mother's boyfriend a few months ago so I could build a replica of his 1:1. It started off as a half assembled, metal body monogram kit from the 80's. It was the definition of a gluebomb when I got it, lacked a lot of detail, all of the metal was badly oxidized,  had glue damage to the chrome and clear parts, and a few broken pieces. To cap it off, the plastic pieces were molded in red. After wondering what I got myself into, it quickly became evident that this thing was cursed lol. I had just about every problem you could encounter on such a simple kit, probably made worse by my total lack of interest in T-Birds. When it was all said and done, though, I ended up being pretty happy with it, and extremely happy to finally have it off my table. It was all worth it when I gave it to him for his birthday this week. For every little flaw I see, he finds something new that he likes about it and will be showing it off on his air cleaner at every show this year. If he's proud of it, that's more than good enough for me

I dunno..............from where I sit it looks mighty fantastic to me! Those old Monogram '56's still build up nicely, but yes the plastic version is not as crazy making. B)

I see you're in Wilkes-Barre! I used to live right below you in Drums once upon a time------right off Rte. 309. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I really appreciate it, as always.

I dunno..............from where I sit it looks mighty fantastic to me! Those old Monogram '56's still build up nicely, but yes the plastic version is not as crazy making. B)

I see you're in Wilkes-Barre! I used to live right below you in Drums once upon a time------right off Rte. 309. :D

Awesome, you're the third guy on this forum to tell me you lived/live around here lol. Just going by statistics, it's funny I never bump into anyone at the LHS. No shows, swap meets, anything. I guess we all hide in our houses here haha

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I really appreciate it, as always.

Awesome, you're the third guy on this forum to tell me you lived/live around here lol. Just going by statistics, it's funny I never bump into anyone at the LHS. No shows, swap meets, anything. I guess we all hide in our houses here haha

This would have been during 1993-94 when I was there. I can remember when because that winter we got a TREMENDOUS amount of snow! :o

It's one of the reasons I moved back to the south-central part of the state. We can get a good amount of snow, but nothing like what you guys get in the Pocono regions! I don't remember any local clubs in that area (Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre)...........I do remember always coming back down this way if I wanted to get to a club meeting/show (MAMA, CPMCC). I'm sure there are many closet builders that have yet to come out of the shadows. There's evidence of that whenever I've been to shows such as the NNL East for instance. That show seems to get bigger each year, so there's definitely "new" ones coming there!

This would have been during 1993-94 when I was there. I can remember when because that winter we got a TREMENDOUS amount of snow! :o

It's one of the reasons I moved back to the south-central part of the state. We can get a good amount of snow, but nothing like what you guys get in the Pocono regions! I don't remember any local clubs in that area (Hazleton, Wilkes-Barre)...........I do remember always coming back down this way if I wanted to get to a club meeting/show (MAMA, CPMCC). I'm sure there are many closet builders that have yet to come out of the shadows. There's evidence of that whenever I've been to shows such as the NNL East for instance. That show seems to get bigger each year, so there's definitely "new" ones coming there!

Yeah, they have to be around somewhere, because whenever I stop by the hobby shop and decide to wait out buying a kit I have my eyes on, it's almost certain that it will be gone the following week lol. It would be cool to at least get a show or meetup around here, just to meet some more people to bounce ideas around with. I've been getting a few request from guys in the local car scene to build replicas of their cars, much like this one was, to display along the real ones at local shows. Who knows, maybe that'll spark a little interest and put a few bucks in my pocket,

As for the snow, my god was this week a killer. 24 inches in one day with 5 foot drifts due to wind. So far, my triumphs were building an 8 foot tall snow mound to clear out my grocery getter, helping to dig out two backhoes that got stuck on my block, and unearthing the fossil that is my 49 Hudson. No mail, newspaper, work, or driving because of a travel ban. I'm too young to remember dealing with '93, but after this one, I don't blame you for going south. Just for fun, here's a pic of my car putting the sled back in lead sled haha.