Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camaro 50th Anniversary

Canso65

With this being the 50th Anniversary of the Camaro I thought it might be fun to start a build thread for those interested. Any Camaro from the past 50 years, stock, race, etc could be done. I was thinking the build could be for fun, no prizes.

I really don't know how to run a group build or what needs to be done to get one off the ground.

Thoughts?

Oh, maybe I'll build a 2005 Camaro, Oh wait they weren't built that year.  not continuously built for 50 years like the Corvette. but hey a CBP is cool. Maybe once I finish my Heartland contest builds I will break out one of my Camaro projects. I have an old photo of a neighbors 73 Camaro I always wanted to recreate.

Tim

Edited by Tim H

This is great guys!

Good to have a few interested, perhaps we'll pick up more as we move along. I think I will likely do a few Camaros of differnet generations but I will start out with the Revell 69 Z-28. 

Looking around the net for some inspiration I came across this pro-touring version. I won't replicate it 100% but will build something similiar. 

Id love to join this group build, Ive got 2 Camaros in various stages of prep (08 SS-X & 67 BumbleBee (just like Karls one above)).

But id love to add an extra one or 2 to this group build!

Ive got a 69 ZL1 Camaro that I want to put beside its much older brother, gonna paint it the same Synergy Green colour too.

IMG_8284.jpg

Welcome Ashley and Karl,

Looks like we are going to have quite a few builds going on here.

I saw the 2017 AMT Camaro and placed my order right away. That'll be my second build.

I like where you're going with yours Karl. Mean and lean machine!

Thanks Tim.

I can't take credit for the picture or the car but it captured me as well. I've been searching through my parts bin for wheels and tires that are close to the ones in the picture above. 

Pictures to come later.

I finally found some wheels that are close enough to the wheels on the car pictured above.

103_3286_zpsbpafip3q.jpg

Here is the kit I'll be using. 

103_3287_zpsrwxxayxy.jpg

While searching for the wheels, I can across this 85 Camaro snap kit I picked up years ago as a junker. I'm going to see if I can polish out the paint as it has lots of orange peel and other irregularities. If that fails I'll strip the paint and start again. I don't know what the builder used (enamel or Laquer) so I am reluctant to clear coat it with Tamiya clear which is my goto clear coat.

103_3290_zps7kklcqzq.jpg

Edited by Canso65

I'm looking forward to seeing you r Camaro Craig.

I managed to get the majority of the body work completed. Dechromed and fit the front and rear bumbers to the car. Both will be body color once done. 

This picture doesn't represent the stance I'll finish up with. I'll work that out once I begin building the chassis. 

Sorry about the dark picture.

Great work on the recess!! How'd you do it?

My attempt failed.

So went & pulled out my ZL1 last night. Forgot that I had started it around the time I built the '13 ZL1, hadnt done much. primered the body & had started modifying the bonnet. I remember shelving the project due to not being happy with the bonnet.  Heres some pics of where Im at now, worked on the bonnet quite abit last night, almost happy with it. (photobucket is not letting me share images at the moment)IMG_7189.thumb.JPG.1e8cc135c5becdb6ebfd0

& this is kinda what I'm going for, found some old NASCAR wheels that I think will be perfect.

1967Camaro.thumb.jpg.d9d3b789b293429b9a2

Ash

I took a piece of rectangular brass tubing, cut it two or three times( left one leg intact), radiused to match molding and resoldered. Smoothed out the solder, then super glued(on the fender well opening) and clamped brass in place. Used a razor blade to 'scrape out material and rescribed lines. It helped to blacken door lines to gage your progress. Once satisfied, I just removed brass guide and flipped for other side of body.

Hey guys, I'm posting this just to get something in. I mocked up my wheels after adding the skeleton for my flares.

I used the rear quarters from a parts box Viper body for the flares and added styrene for the rest.

I'd hoped to have the hood on for this pic but I er can't find it. Actually losing my mind looking for it. A hood of all things!

WB Camaro Flare Mockup.jpg

Might get in on this one.

I picked this kit up a couple of weeks ago for Chevy Cheeseburger's "2017 ACME Community Build" on YouTube. His group build idea was for the YouTube model community to build a Camaro (any year, body style, etc.) to bring to the ACME show in November. While I like the 60's Camaro's, this was the body style that was out when I was in high school (I made parole in '87. Lol!) and I thought they were cool at the time - especially my buddy's '87 IROC.

I haven't done anything to it yet other than take it out of the box. Still trying to figure out what direction I want to go. I usually build pretty close to box stock, but going to try and step out of my comfort zone one this one. It may not end up being the best one you've ever seen built, but you have to start somewhere, right?

STA73846.jpg

You can see my videos of it on my (rather modest) YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/sixgunner68

Did a little bit this morning before I left for work. I cut out the bottom of the motor/trans that's molded as part of the chassis. I did a quick mock-up with a motor I cobbled together from the parts box. I wanted something that looked like it had more than the 215hp the box said the original motor had. 

20170314_074909.jpg

Still trying to sort it out. :D