Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar vinyl top query

I own a 1971 Satellite Sebring Plus with an original black canopy top. It has a black vinyl moulding to match the top. It's damaged, so I probably won't be reusing it. 

I found a used stainless steel moulding at a swap meet that will fit exactly where the body colored moulding goes.

I have seen them both ways. I have seen some 1971's with either of them, but all 1972-74's I have seen use only the stainless moulding.  The best I can guess is that they started out using the color matched moulding and switched over to the stainless moulding sometime during the 1971 model year. Personally, I like the look of the stainless better- it looks more finished. Also, the color keyed moulding of mine disintegrated at the ends, maybe they saw a durability problem and that's why they made the switch?

I never really researched this properly. There is a web board called the Road Runner Nest that has a LOT of info on these cars, specifically he '71-'74 cars. Do a search for that web board and I'm sure it will have some useful info for you. 

I think you need to research individual models within the Plymouth model line up. It would seem that there is a difference between chrome or colored moldings depending on which model line you're looking at. It would seem that they were built both ways depending on which model you are replicating.   

Assembly plant variances is another possibility . In 1971 , the Plymouth B-bodies were assembled at  at  least 3 plants : Los Angeles ( Ca. ) , Windsor , Ontario ( CA ) , and Lynch Road ( Det. Mi. ) .

Could be a supplier deal , too . Perhaps some suppliers supplied coloured mouldings , whereas others supplied the more-common stainless (and even that nasty anodised aluminimum from mid-1972 & later ).

Then there's the possibility that the coloured mouldings were only available with certain top colours and / or trim levels ( e.g. , Road Runner versus Satellite Sebring Plus or GTX ) .

Hamtramck Historical is your friend . http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml