Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Tamiya Orange For Hemis?

Remember that the Hemi's were two different orange colors, the early 1964-65 Race Hemi and 1962-64 Max Wedge engines were Race Hemi Orange wich is a bright orange color towards the yellow side, and the 1966-71 Street Hemi and the Hi-perf RB engines were Street Hemi Orange wich is a darker orange more to the red spectrum.
I don't usually use Tamiya colors other than the TS  range for bodys and I have never looked for engine paint matches from those, I prefer to use colors for real engines from the local speed shop instead and you will get the correct shade.

Edited by Force

Remember that the Hemi's were two different orange colors, the early 1964-65 Race Hemi and 1962-64 Max Wedge engines were Race Hemi Orange wich is a bright orange color towards the yellow side, and the 1966-71 Street Hemi and the Hi-perf RB engines were Street Hemi Orange wich is a darker orange more to the red spectrum.

Tamiya has three oranges that look close. I figure two out of the three should cover the range. But which two?

I have used TS-12 and it looks pretty close. I have used X-6 in the bottle but it is on the light side. As for ts-56 Brilliant Orange, it makes a nice light Orange body color but it is not like anything ever seen under the hood of a Chrysler product.  

I have used TS-12 and it looks pretty close. I have used X-6 in the bottle but it is on the light side. As for ts-56 Brilliant Orange, it makes a nice light Orange body color but it is not like anything ever seen under the hood of a Chrysler product.  

Thanks David. That answers some questions for me. That leaves TS-31, which seems a bit on the red side.

No argument there. I hadn't considered them for engine paints but I will now.

I have several cans of Duplicolor or Plasticote engine enamels  here. From Pontiac blue, Mopar turquoise ,  Hemi orange ( both shades ) Ford Blue. Its all I use for engines

Testors make a Hemi Orange in spray cans.

Thats exterior Hemi orange which isnt the same as  engine hemi orange color

DSC00958.JPG

catalina5.JPG

64Fugitive2.JPG

DSC02105.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

I have several cans of Duplicolor or Plasticote engine enamels  here. From Pontiac blue, Mopar turquoise ,  Hemi orange ( both shades ) Ford Blue. Its all I use for engines

Thats exterior Hemi orange which isnt the same as  engine hemi orange color

DSC00958.JPG

catalina5.JPG

64Fugitive2.JPG

DSC02105.JPG

Thank you for posting the photos, much appreciated. They are some fine looking engine compartments.

i found some Duplicolor engine enamel at work and did a quick test. I sprayed a plastic bottle and was pleased with the results.

I'm pretty well sold on Duplicolor enamels.

Thanks for the help, Bill.