Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Mach1 show car

vamach1

I think the Iron Horse version was the same kit, just changed a bit and recycled to get another use out of a tool. I seem to remember someone saying that a while back. It would be nice to see it returned to original and reissued if the tool is still around.

They are. There's also a third one called the "Autolite Special". 

Image result for amt autologht special

The Mach 1 came out in '68. You can tell by the artwork. It's similar to most of the other AMT kit artwork that year. Best kit box art ever, IMHO. ;)

Here's the box of my '68 Thunderbird for comparison.

150 5081

Edited by Can-Con

• 2 years later...

Heck, I just noticed this thread was 2.5 years old.  Didn't mean to bring up a relic, but I just acquired a 1st ed Mach 1, and am trying to find out everything I can about them.  I musta built a half dozen of these when they were new, in the various releases.

Now, since I found one I could afford, Round 2 will repop 'em with all the parts in an original art box..

You can thank me later..  lol

Thanks for the reminder.  I posted pictures Under Glass but not in this thread.  So here is the finished project with another one I found at a model swap meet and the box I bought off Ebay.  For the completed one I used the 68 Shelby big block since after all it is a Mach1 one.  Since I do not have the original instruction sheet I'm guessing it came with the 260/289 engine from the 66 Mustang and that's the engine that is in the unpainted built up one pictured.

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6615.JPG

IMG_6616.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

31 minutes ago, Ralph Henderson said:

Nicely done! No drama with the later chassis??

Thanks.   I ended up using the "66" Mustang chassis which you can see in the next to last picture that is the same as in the original Mach1 kit.  I do not remember if the 68 Shelby Mustang kit chassis would work also but I'm sure with a few mods it would fit easily.

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Flat out ripoff for just the body.  The seller lists other parts from that kit which all together would add up to about $200 or more.  If that is the competition I should have no problem selling the extra one I have for $100.

12 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Flat out ripoff for just the body.  The seller lists other parts from that kit which all together would add up to about $200 or more.  If that is the competition I should have no problem selling the extra one I have for $100.

I just picked up a nice rebuilder for 15 bucks. missing a few parts, but nothing I can't find 'er fudge.  A stripped body for 50 does sound a bit high, eh?  I don't mind a guy making a buck or two, but it would be cool to keep real vintage stuff or good rebuilders together.  99% of the time they will sell for what they should sell for

That's been my experience, anyway.

On the other hand, it is nice to be able to pick up the oddball 40-50 year old part, without having to buy a 200 dollar kit..

• 3 weeks later...