Model Cars Magazine Forum

More on Molotow pens

On 4/9/2018 at 8:58 AM, CabDriver said:

The Liquitex tip is a good one, thank you Bill!  Which Liquitex?  This one?

Clear-Gesso.jpg

Sorry it's taken a bit to get back to you James. Don't hold me to this as what I got came to me in a reusable container, but that looks just like the stuff I got. My friend that gave it to me swears by it, and others in a Facebook group were raving over it.

As I mention before, it's very important that you let the paint dry thoroughly----as Bob mentioned at least overnight. One thing I've learned is if you touch it too soon and try to touch it up...........it won't work. Just makes it worse. Better to strip it and start over, and I found that alcohol works very well in stripping it.

22 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Sorry it's taken a bit to get back to you James. Don't hold me to this as what I got came to me in a reusable container, but that looks just like the stuff I got. My friend that gave it to me swears by it, and others in a Facebook group were raving over it.

As I mention before, it's very important that you let the paint dry thoroughly----as Bob mentioned at least overnight. One thing I've learned is if you touch it too soon and try to touch it up...........it won't work. Just makes it worse. Better to strip it and start over, and I found that alcohol works very well in stripping it.

That's cool, thanks for getting back Bill!  I'll pick some up and try it and post results - sounds promising though!  Thanks buddy!

• 1 month later...
On Saturday, June 02, 2018 at 11:26 PM, DiscoRover007 said:

What kind of basecoat did you use for this? Looks great

It's real simple. First of all, you should have a very well clean and prepared surface. Then, you will airbrush a coat of clear in order to have a leveled surface. The kind of clear will depend on the part you will chrome, urethane and enamel clears are OK, but, being thick clears in my opinion, I won't recomend them for small or detailed parts.

• 9 months later...

old thread I know but....  Ive had a fine point moltow pen for over a year now. At first the chrome results were amazing and looked just like plated parts . I had zero problems appying it to any surface. The pen has always been stored laying down and indoors. Now my pen isnt producing any effect like it was in the past, now it is simply a silver paint coming out. Ive tried shaking it excessively and cleaning the tip w/ alcohol with no change in results. Does the chrome have expiration ? Anything else I can try or should I just buy a new one?

I recently had the same problem with an older pen and I posted a question about it on other forums. Here is the solution as replied by JBWelda, who used to post here:

"Pump it up some by repeatedly pressing the tip down on a piece of paper. Should start flowing again. I have had this situation a time or two and was able to revive mine. If that doesn't start it up, dip the tip into a little puddle of 92 pct isopropol alcohol, and then pump it. I have had the same pens for over a year now and both work great still with the pumping exercise every once in a while. "

jb

All I can say is this procedure worked great. The pen chrome is good as new! Thanks JB!

On 3/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, kymdlr said:

old thread I know but....  Ive had a fine point moltow pen for over a year now. At first the chrome results were amazing and looked just like plated parts . I had zero problems appying it to any surface. The pen has always been stored laying down and indoors. Now my pen isnt producing any effect like it was in the past, now it is simply a silver paint coming out. Ive tried shaking it excessively and cleaning the tip w/ alcohol with no change in results. Does the chrome have expiration ? Anything else I can try or should I just buy a new one?

It seems that the solutions provided so far (pumping and alcohol rise) are for lack of any paint coming out of the pen. That doesn't seem to be your problem.

While I don't have a solution, I wonder of the liquid chrome (paint) inside the paint thickened up, so when it dries the metallic flakes will not lay flat, align, and create the chrome-like surface?  Can you tell if the liquid that turns into regular silver paint is thicker than what you remember it to be when the pen worked properly?

I suppose that is would not also hurt to thoroughly rinse out the tip and the cavity that holds the tip. I would use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, but 91% should also work.  I would take the tip out and using a pipette, flush out the cavity that holds the tip.  Then soak the tip in multiple baths of alcohol to dissolve the paint caked up in there.