Model Cars Magazine Forum

More on Molotow pens

The Molotow chrome pens have been brought up in 2 or 3 different threads so thought I'd start a new thread for this info.

I got my pen in the mail a few days ago. Got a chance to play with it just a bit earlier. I ordered a 2mm pen to see if I even liked the finish before I ordered additional sizes. I can say now that if you intend to do any real, fine detail work, order the 1mm and expect to take some time. The 1mm size might even be too thick for really fine detail work.

As for the finish from the pen, really nice! It takes just a bit to figure out the flow and how to control it, but once you see how it works, you can get a really nice chrome finish from it. I'm not exactly sure where and how I'll end up using it, but it's definitely a great tool to have at my disposal. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use mine for "chroming" wheels, if nothing else.

Here's another great tip for the pens.

I was just contemplating the "fine detail" issue & found the perfect solution.

You can just load up the tip of a paint brush by touching it to the tip of the pen applicator.

Then just paint as you would do normal detail.

I'm beginning to think that the pen itself is unnecessary.

If i can find the paint refill for them, I won't bother with the pens themselves in the future.

Steve

DSCN5885DSCN5886

I've found myself using mine a lot. I ordered the 1mm size, but can definitely see myself using the 2mm size for larger areas. The finish is closer to kit chrome than I've ever gotten from Alclad or Spaz-Stix, but it is pretty fragile. Like most chrome paints, it doesn't like any sort of clear coats either. I've actually used it to go over bumpers I did with Alclad and wasn't too happy with. The ease of use is what is truly mind-blowing, however. It doesn't need a special base coat, can be used over flat paint on interiors, and flows out seamlessly on larger areas once you get used to laying it down wet. I'm sold!

Many of us in the MCCM seem very happy so far with these. I haven't heard any complaints yet. Other than one member has said he needs to get the 2mm pen. For the 1mm isn't big enough for some jobs. I have both the 1 and the 2mm. I'm waiting for a 4. So far, I've been using the 2mm far more that the 1mm. 

Scott

I have the 2mm and the 4mm pens....been using them daily for small pieces and touch up on chrome where the sprue attachment was.  I am really impressed, just as good as any chrome I have seen in kits.  I do have one question though for those of you who have been using them longer...how do you store them?  I have been storing mine with the tip down like I do other markers.

You can just load up the tip of a paint brush by touching it to the tip of the pen applicator.

If i can find the paint refill for them, I won't bother with the pens themselves in the future.

Steve

DSCN5885DSCN5886

Steve, 

What did you use to clean the brush?

Steve

Steve, This is the refill you are looking for. 

https://shop.bombingscience.com/canada/molotow-liquid-chrome-refill-30ml-liquid-chrome.html

Thanks Mike.

I found the same product on amazon, but it says "currently unavailable".

I guess with all of us crazed modelers buying this stuff up, the company can't keep up with the demand! :D

Any idea how much that is in American & if I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for shipping?

I have one 2mm pen & a 1mm on order.

I might just hold out for a while & see if Amazon gets them in eventually.

Steve

Thanks Mike.

I found the same product on amazon, but it says "currently unavailable".

I guess with all of us crazed modelers buying this stuff up, the company can't keep up with the demand! :D

Any idea how much that is in American & if I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for shipping?

I have one 2mm pen & a 1mm on order.

I might just hold out for a while & see if Amazon gets them in eventually.

Steve

That is about $25 us. No clue on shipping.

They had all three sizes of pens listed a couple weeks ago, not too expensive.... but they are now gone from the website.

I have a 1mm and a 2mm and I am a bit surprised at the the difference in size I can imagine the 4mm would work for doing the entire bodies. I did have an issue when doing the edge of a wheel where it was removed from the tree. The area I touched up was dull and bumpy. I made sure the area was smooth but that made no difference . I thought if I put just the rim in some purple pond that I could try again but it weeped up the side about halfway and removed the chrome. Ended up de-chroming the.entire wheel and applied the Molotow. Wheel looks great but has a lighter cast to it than the kit chrome but theouter edge still came out dull. I tried some over Future and it worked well. I will  try some future on the wheel edge and see if that helps.

I bough the 1mm and 2mm pens ( for my needs / intentions I dont think I need the 4 mm pen )  And I'll be honest I am impressed . I did window trim and a full set of wheel with them . And they shine like they came off the chrome tree

I did a test piece and sprayed lacquer clear over top of it and it makes it look like silver paint

Everybody is saying how great these are but . . .

. . . is it worth $25.81 for a 30ml bottle plus shipping (if it's ever available) ?

30ml equals 1.014 oz . or 2 tablespoons .

I read it works better than BMF. How much are you willing to pay not to have to deal with the BMF headaches ? I haven't tried it on window trim yet myself but soon

I've tried locating the 30ml refill bottle like several of you have. After reading Steve's tip about using a brush I think I'll just order a couple of the 4mm size pens and use them like I would a "refill" bottle. Now if I could just find a 4mm in stock, I'd be good to go.

Also, I have sent emails to 2 US companies about the availability of the 30ml refill as well as better stock of the pens themselves, and I contacted Molotow directly with several questions. I'll post any reply I get. One of the things I specifically asked Molotow was about durability. I had found an article that referred to using the pens to "touch up" chipped chrome on kitchen appliances. That sounds a whole lot more durable than I expected. I also asked them about their "Burner Chrome" cans of spray. On their website they refer to using the stuff outside for graffiti. Again, a whole lot more durable than what I had in mind.

Edited by smhardesty
Grammar

Everybody is saying how great these are but . . .

. . . is it worth $25.81 for a 30ml bottle plus shipping (if it's ever available) ?

30ml equals 1.014 oz . or 2 tablespoons .

2 tablespoons will last me forever for what I'm using it for.

I won't be substituting it for foil, just complimenting it.

It works great for small details like dash detailing & chrome touch up.

I still say that some of us are getting a little ahead of ourselves with using these instead of foil.

Nobody knows how well this stuff will hold up over time, or even how durable it will be in the short run.

I know that BMF holds up for decades.

Steve

I've used it for window trim and grills. I have the two and four MM pens. They also clean up with alcohol if still moist. They are SO much easier to use than BMF; makes it well worth cost to me. I've touched up BMF and I could tell no difference