Model Cars Magazine Forum

looks like ive been copied

so this is the latest email i got.. 

New message from: redlinerestorations2015-8 Top Rated Seller(611Purple Star)

Now I'm going to sell mine dirt cheap ,just to do it have fun selling on ebay

Clicked on the link to see his eBay listings and it looks like no one is bidding on his stuff, so we can hope that he fades away like so many other crappy casters. I would rather pay $50-60 or more for one of your kits Jeff than to save a couple of bucks and buy some poorly casted knockoff and I know I am not alone!

I don't use spoons at all, as I just spray on the body and hope it works, and hope it's the color I was lookin' for. So far over the years everything came out just fine for me.

And you know what Nick, that's just what I do too. I almost never do a test. 

But my point was to back up what was said about the power of the internet to spread information.

In honor of this post, I just ordered a '67 Galaxie from Jeff. I saw the guy's post on Ebay today, and his marketing skills leave a lot to be desired. He trashed the original body, pointing out several flaws in his copy that were not to his satisfaction, stating that he "corrected" them. I have been building resin kits for a couple of decades, and I have found that most resin kits need a little more preparation to be built than most styrene kits. I bought my kit from Jeff with confidence, as I have never received an inferior product from Motor City, As a matter of fact, I have a couple of resin based kit projects on tap for this year. A certain '67 Galaxie may be one of them.

If I were you, I would not lose one iota of sleep over this matter, The superior product will always prevail.

Here's the latest drivel from the a** hole that ripped your master off.                                                                                                                                             This is a remastered model .you get a corrected body hood bumpers white resin taillights grill I am going to add pics that show how badly the car was I bought off ebay,the frame is badly made in rear crooked way crooked and badly crafted after I remaster it it will be for sale the dash and seat as well they are solid resin also need remastered ,as for the body I corrected all for wheel wells each one was a different size ,and of center drivers side rear was 1/8 of an inch smaller than the rest that's a lot and very noticeable I corrected that hood did not fit right side to side gaps ,I corrected it ,a, pillars very thick I corrected that ,and the car was so thick it could knock out a small child ,tail gate thicker on driver side, corrected,I would say some one made the frame crooked to compensate for the rest ,body is corrected and frame and interior coming soon,I have been accused of stealing this car well my receipt shows I bought it.so you guys keep gossiping on your little chat room,and thanks for the free advertisement ,the kit I bought off ebay was a paper weight and if this person actually made the kit I bought ,you should be ashamed of yourself ,as for patents and license,copyrights you have none the only thing that would cover is a logo or a new design and even then you have to submit those ideas for license before a license is issued I have several license for my other two business ,been through that process .as for mister 64ss350,you've never bought any of my kits and 350didn't come out till 67 as the l48option camaro ,get your name right,one more thing I'm not going to fade away live with it ,me personally think these people need to move out of there mommy's basement.as for my customers Thank you for an amazing 6months glad you like the kits rest ashore there correct I also have an offer for my customers ,buy 3or more of my kits at buy it now you will receive this one free.Now like Martin Lawrence said run tell dat,will upload more pics of all corrections here shortly,thanks for looking ,john ,,,,,,also I added the moldings ,and almost forgot look for a coupe ,wagon,and pro street version,outlaw hood is done but not yet in production all coming soon .Also I do have over 70 actually it will be 73 after I master 3more versions of a 73 malibu and every singal one will go in to production ,might take a year but it's going to happen. Last four pics are just a few things wrong that were corrected ,the seat ,frame and dash are not for sale they need remastered ,and you can see why very. Poor craftsmanship ,but will be for sale hopefully soon,thanks for looking john   

Please forward this to ebay.     I think this could get him shut down.

Ebay did not think John the rip off artist description text on the El Camino was at all amusing.. I'm not sure what the punishment will be but let's all hope he gets the boot. Jeff, you need to contact ebay at 866 540 3229. Tell them about your experience and forward all emails from the thief.

I was going around eBay looking for El Camino kits and stumbled upon it all the while also browsing this section of the forum, that slab of words on the '73 El Camino is nothing short of hilarious. The amount of spite that guy has despite being in the wrong is glorious.

I'm glad I found out about your website Jeff, definitely gonna check out the '72 Torino and '73 El Camino. Thank God you guys do overseas shipping, being in Europe and finding quality resin items is basically impossible without begging for folks to do international postage. D:

Clicked on the link to see his eBay listings and it looks like no one is bidding on his stuff, so we can hope that he fades away like so many other crappy casters. I would rather pay $50-60 or more for one of your kits Jeff than to save a couple of bucks and buy some poorly casted knockoff and I know I am not alone!

This stuff is not too good from what I see, and I know what I am writing about. Jeff, you have N-O-T-H-I-N-G to worry about. I took a look at each of his offerings on EBAY, and I would have to be in a drunken stupor to partake of any of his offerings, and I do not drink!

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I asked him a question about chrome parts and whether he has stock or builds to order. His reply included such comments as (I corrected the grammar and spelling) 'your questions are stupid and you are stupid. I hope you don't buy off me.' I filed a complaint with Ebay saying it was wrong to call a potential customer stupid and to say don't buy off me. Since Ebay makes money when people buy things, they may not like a vendor telling people not to buy things. He is doing his best/worst to set a new low level of salesmanship :) 

I asked him a question about chrome parts and whether he has stock or builds to order. His reply included such comments as (I corrected the grammar and spelling) 'your questions are stupid and you are stupid. I hope you don't buy off me.' I filed a complaint with Ebay saying it was wrong to call a potential customer stupid and to say don't buy off me. Since Ebay makes money when people buy things, they may not like a vendor telling people not to buy things. He is doing his best/worst to set a new low level of salesmanship :) 

You do not want to buy that stuff. You are better off mastering your own.

Jeff,  First I just now came across your post, I have no reason to post anything in favor one way or the other, than to give another forum member a little advice based on my own experiences over the years with design and copy-infringement.

I own a company that I design and market products. Two types of product Patents; Design and Utility, both very different, you would be looking at a Design Patent for your castings. You can apply for a design patent for your work, it's about $3500 through most IP attorney offices, they do the work, but you must be specific to your design and that its different than other design that exist. There is no "%" assignment, that's not truth at all to be awarded a Design patent. There is a huge difference between a Design and Utility Patent, this can only fall under Design with your application. 

If you are awarded a Design Patent you can defend your "design" against anyone trying to exactly copy your design. However, the only value of a design patent is the specific design you have. Anyone can change one part of your design and argue in a court that it's different than your design, a jury or judge would determine if an infringment exists based on what is a noticable difference in market perception. Lots of Cases around this stuff.

Example, take a simple pencil... it has specific shape, with two ends, usually an eraser sticking out one end embeded in a metal type surround and painted with some type of colored paint, perhaps a specific color that you created and makes your pencil unique. Whatever components or "call-outs" you apply to your unique design is what you may be awarded with from the US Patent Office. I can take your design, change the shape, length and eraser just slightly, even change the color shade by a small difference and market safely around your Design Patent. Oh, you want International design protection, then belly up to another $10k for that. 

I've dealt with this for over 10 years with my products and designs, they are basically worthless unless you want your very specific design protected, but expect copy-cats, they are everywhere and nothing you can do about it. I'd be careful slamming anyone unless you have some design copyrighted property, you can be sued. I've had this happen both directions over the years.  

Do you have specific features/design elements with your casting that is yours and only yours? Have you advertised publically this design longer than a year? If so then the new US law doesn't permit filing a Patent. Now, he who files first wins the selection of award to a Patent, careful sharing any unique ideas with anyone. 

Please take my post as a helpful advice with wanting to help another business owner with navigating with this stuff, it can become time consuming and messy for everyone. 

Jeff,  First I just now came across your post, I have no reason to post anything in favor one way or the other, than to give another forum member a little advice based on my own experiences over the years with design and copy-infringement.

I own a company that I design and market products. Two types of product Patents; Design and Utility, both very different, you would be looking at a Design Patent for your castings. You can apply for a design patent for your work, it's about $3500 through most IP attorney offices, they do the work, but you must be specific to your design and that its different than other design that exist. There is no "%" assignment, that's not truth at all to be awarded a Design patent. There is a huge difference between a Design and Utility Patent, this can only fall under Design with your application. 

If you are awarded a Design Patent you can defend your "design" against anyone trying to exactly copy your design. However, the only value of a design patent is the specific design you have. Anyone can change one part of your design and argue in a court that it's different than your design, a jury or judge would determine if an infringment exists based on what is a noticable difference in market perception. Lots of Cases around this stuff.

Example, take a simple pencil... it has specific shape, with two ends, usually an eraser sticking out one end embeded in a metal type surround and painted with some type of colored paint, perhaps a specific color that you created and makes your pencil unique. Whatever components or "call-outs" you apply to your unique design is what you may be awarded with from the US Patent Office. I can take your design, change the shape, length and eraser just slightly, even change the color shade by a small difference and market safely around your Design Patent. Oh, you want International design protection, then belly up to another $10k for that. 

I've dealt with this for over 10 years with my products and designs, they are basically worthless unless you want your very specific design protected, but expect copy-cats, they are everywhere and nothing you can do about it. I'd be careful slamming anyone unless you have some design copyrighted property, you can be sued. I've had this happen both directions over the years.  

Do you have specific features/design elements with your casting that is yours and only yours? Have you advertised publically this design longer than a year? If so then the new US law doesn't permit filing a Patent. Now, he who files first wins the selection of award to a Patent, careful sharing any unique ideas with anyone. 

Please take my post as a helpful advice with wanting to help another business owner with navigating with this stuff, it can become time consuming and messy for everyone. 

thanks for the info, but all that is waaayyy out of my price range.im pretty sure no resincaster could afford to do this, or would want to.  im not slamming this guy, just been reposting his emails..

thanks for the info, but all that is waaayyy out of my price range.im pretty sure no resincaster could afford to do this, or would want to.  im not slamming this guy, just been reposting his emails..

No worries, I wasn't suggesting you spend money on hiring a Patent attorney and applying for a Design Patent, in my opinion they are not worth it because they are so easy to design around. The only value is if you want to protect yourself with a specific design from idiots like this guy on ebay. If you don't have IP (Intellectual Property) rights then you can't defend yourself from copycats like this guy or others.

It's my suggestion to let this guy alone and focus your time and efforts casting what you claim is a superior cast. Let go of the idiots who want to mess with you, I learned that lesson finally after a copy-cat of one of my best selling products was copied by him. I was spending so much time trying to bad mouth him and down play his quality that I lost focus on making my own better product a best seller. Today several of my products sell on Amazon as Best Sellers in the Catagory and his, not even ranked in the top 50. 

Giving him your spotlight to others is sending someone to his shop to look around and see what he's offering, honestly I clicked on the link you posted and looked at his "store". Nothing excited me but I don't know him or you any different, other than you're on this forum and I would prefer to support members first as I always do and have ordered lots of cool products from people who post a link to their or someone elses from this site.

Good luck Jeff, I'd like to see what other cool stuff you have, do you have a link to a site?

im not trying to bad mouth this guy, i just wanted people to know the situation. these guys generally crash and burn eventually. one of my main concerns, is someone buying a copycat product and thinking it was mine...had it happen to me at a show. a guy came up to my table and went nuts. "this is the worst resin ive ever seen!".. turned out to be a copy...and he still blamed me!

:blink:

I don't think we're dealing with the sharpest knife in the drawer here.  He'll Dunning-Kruger himself into a corner he can't get out of soon enough.  

:lol:  Unfortunately, the DK effect doesn't really seem to adversely affect those most afflicted with it with any regularity, particularly as you go higher up the socio-economic ladder. Just look at the state of the economy, health-care and myriad other systems closely and critically and you'll see it's flourishing all around us, and damm hard to stop once it's taken control.

Here's the latest drivel from the a** hole that ripped your master off.                                                                                                                                             This is a remastered model .you get a corrected body hood bumpers white resin taillights grill I am going to add pics that show how badly the car was I bought off ebay,the frame is badly made in rear crooked way crooked and badly crafted after I remaster it it will be for sale the dash and seat as well they are solid resin also need remastered ,as for the body I corrected all for wheel wells each one was a different size ,and of center drivers side rear was 1/8 of an inch smaller than the rest that's a lot and very noticeable I corrected that hood did not fit right side to side gaps ,I corrected it ,a, pillars very thick I corrected that ,and the car was so thick it could knock out a small child ,tail gate thicker on driver side, corrected,I would say some one made the frame crooked to compensate for the rest ,body is corrected and frame and interior coming soon,I have been accused of stealing this car well my receipt shows I bought it.so you guys keep gossiping on your little chat room,and thanks for the free advertisement ,the kit I bought off ebay was a paper weight and if this person actually made the kit I bought ,you should be ashamed of yourself ,as for patents and license,copyrights you have none the only thing that would cover is a logo or a new design and even then you have to submit those ideas for license before a license is issued I have several license for my other two business ,been through that process .as for mister 64ss350,you've never bought any of my kits and 350didn't come out till 67 as the l48option camaro ,get your name right,one more thing I'm not going to fade away live with it ,me personally think these people need to move out of there mommy's basement.as for my customers Thank you for an amazing 6months glad you like the kits rest ashore there correct I also have an offer for my customers ,buy 3or more of my kits at buy it now you will receive this one free.Now like Martin Lawrence said run tell dat,will upload more pics of all corrections here shortly,thanks for looking ,john ,,,,,,also I added the moldings ,and almost forgot look for a coupe ,wagon,and pro street version,outlaw hood is done but not yet in production all coming soon .Also I do have over 70 actually it will be 73 after I master 3more versions of a 73 malibu and every singal one will go in to production ,might take a year but it's going to happen. Last four pics are just a few things wrong that were corrected ,the seat ,frame and dash are not for sale they need remastered ,and you can see why very. Poor craftsmanship ,but will be for sale hopefully soon,thanks for looking john   

Please forward this to ebay.     I think this could get him shut down.

Wow! Not even intelligent enough to use spell check. And he definitely needs to. 

Wouldn't saying he bought an original made by someone else and "improved" on it be proof that he copied it?

• 9 months later...