Model Cars Magazine Forum

looks like ive been copied

ive already emailed him...he thanked me for purchasing from him..he didnt even copy the whole kit, and  has a buy it now of 80.00   15.00 more than i charge. his name is john, from medway ohio...if you know him, tell him thanks for stealing..i have...

What would happen if a person would ask him if that is a copy of someone elses work in the ask a question section?

Probably block you!  Check out his feedback.  Someone left him a positive and said, "Low quality but for the price its OK". He responded by blocking them!

Jeff, report him to eBay for copying your product.

I do not see how anyone will do any business with him. The price from you is for an entire transkit, and is quite reasonable, and the quality is good. If and when I want a product offered by your company, I will only deal with you. I would not want it with the "Conquista" mouldings any way. Also, just adding those is not 15% of the work.

last email from him..

New message from: redlinerestorations2015-8 Top Rated Seller(604Purple Star)

Didn't steel BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH I remastered your junk and there's no law saying I couldn't as long as it's changed by 15 percent I do quality body's so you do what you got to you won't hurt me any

Jeff...first off, I am not a lawyer but to me that is an admission of guilt in that he remastered your original work without your permission.  In essence, he admits to copying your product.  Use it when you contact ebay.

Second...seriously contact eBay and get yourself setup in the Vero program.  It doesn't cost anything but establishes your products on eBay as being yours.  I reviewed a 1/24th scale Danbury Mint 41 Cadillac for my column in the mis-managed The Car Room Magazine.  A couple of years later, I sold it on ebay for around $700.  In the Auction, I copied the article as as I had submitted it including my name.  Many people knew me through the Magazine as well as many diecast forums.  The day it ended, some "Richard Cranium" in California ran an auction for the very same model and used my auction word for word to include using my name as him writing the article.

While Ebay drug their feet at first, I persisted that they do something.  Since my column included my face picture, I had to send them a copy of Maryland Drivers License (minus the number) and a copy of the printed article.  I sent them the entire magazine (I had several copies as the owner of the mismanaged magazine apparently had way more printed than there were subscribers!).

Ebay ended up shutting down the auction, notified all bidders that the seller was committing fraud and because of the uniqueness of the original auction (mine), removed the seller from Ebay.  I also posted it on every diecast forum I could find

Forums like this alert us to problem vendors. I made good on my word and bought an El Camino from Jeff. You stop this stuff buy getting the word out and shutting the offender down. You turn around and buy for the "good guys". I realize many are cheap, but it serves no purpose. You get what you pay for.

I found a guy in the UK selling my book on CD on eBay. I made contact with eBay UK after I started getting emails that the CD wouldn't load. I told them to complain to eBay and get a refund. It was not an auth'd copy. Guy was shut down. 

If you wonder how powerful these forums are....just think of the Molotow Chrome pens! A few posts, emails or articles on line and whammo...everyone is trying them. Places are carrying them..... just goes to show!  

Lotsa myths out there. Actually researching and READING the law would be a good place to start, as you'll hear as many different opinions on the web as there are posters.

I have actually DONE patents and copyrights (no, you don't have to be a lawyer to do it), so I actually know something about the subject.

First, though implied "copyright" exists on any original work or art piece, to get the full protection under the law, the piece must be registered. It only costs $55 to file a copyright application yourself.

Second, trying to copyright a resin model of an existing car is going to be tricky, because the manufacturer of the REAL car owns the design, and the model maker has copied material that's technically not his to re-use. The big model companies have to pay licensing fees to the car companies to use the designs, and technically, a resin-caster should too.

Third, most all European (and other) nations have had reciprocal patent and copyright agreements with the USA for a long time, but to get full protection, you have to register the work in question in the appropriate jurisdiction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention

One more thing... the "15% percent-change-to-be-able-to-copy rule" is entirely BS. I've been hearing variations of this belief ever since I started making real aftermarket parts almost 40 years ago. No such rule or law exists, and copying somebody else's work is copying somebody else's work, but the actual application of copyright LAW to a particular instance would have to be determined by a court action...and that gets expensive pretty quickly.

The excerpt below is taken from this site regarding the copying of jewelry: http://www.jewelersresource.com/Business/Studio/Copyright.html

"When is a copy an infringement?
The standard for infringement is that the piece is substantially similar and, of course, that the infringer copied the piece. There is no hard and fast standard of substantial similarity, but if the piece looks the same, even though it is not identical, it probably infringes (the rumors that it has to be 10% different are wrong: if the Mona Lisa were copyrighted, and you copied only the eyes and smile, it probably would still be infringement). A copyright lawyer should be consulted before any charges of infringement are made."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If you wonder how powerful these forums are....just think of the Molotow Chrome pens! A few posts, emails or articles on line and whammo...everyone is trying them. Places are carrying them..... just goes to show!  

You got that right George. My "plastic spoon test" idea was printed in S.A. over a decade ago. It's so common now that it's like it always existed from day-one of model building.

Word gets around ,, and fast these days with computers and forums like this one.

Holy cow Steve.  You're the guy who came up with spoon test for paint?  Amazing.  I use them all the time.  I acquired a very nice supply from Taco Bell last year.

As far as I can tell anyway.

I didn't get the idea from anyone and I don't remember hearing of anyone doing it before SA printed it in their tips and tech section. 

But anyway, I don't want to get too off subject, just needed to get that out. ;)

Edited by Can-Con

You got that right George. My "plastic spoon test" idea was printed in S.A. over a decade ago. It's so common now that it's like it always existed from day-one of model building.

Word gets around ,, and fast these days with computers and forums like this one.

I use spoons 15% larger and call it the Xingu method of checking paint compatibility. ;)