Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spenser's 2015 Ford Mustang GT

mrmike

I got into a discussion about Ford Mustangs and was kind of "challenged" into building a "what-if" Mustang.  This Mustang would have been the car driven by Boston private cop Spenser if the TV series, Spenser For Hire was on the air today.  Since the cars used were well used local cars, I thought let's use something newer and I happen to have the model kit handy for this build.  I started by blowing apart the Mustang and cleaned up the body.

Mustang06.jpg

I searched through my extra decals and found some left over from previous Mustang builds.

Mustang08.jpg

I decided on a color.  Model Master Fathom Green Metallic.  Yes, I know it's a GM color, but Ford never offered a dark green for the 2015 Mustang.

Mustang09.jpg

I painted the wheels with Alclad II Chrome over the flat black plastic of the wheels and cleared with Alclad II Gloss Klear Kote.

Mustang04.jpg

I got the body painted with Model Master Fathom Green Metallic.

Mustang10.jpg

Mustang12.jpg

Spenser For Hire will return...

Edited by mrmike

Well, the Mustang body is in the stripper as I had found a large dog hair in the paint on the hood which is part of the one-piece body.  Finding dog hair in the paint is becoming a common occurrence for me and it is frustrating!  Nevertheless, I will soldier on and get the Mustang repainted.  This morning, I detailed the instrument panel and interior.  I used the extra '06 Mustang decals that I have accumulated over time and paint detailed the small gauges in the dash center.

Mustang13.jpg

Mustang14.jpg

Mustang15.jpg

Edited by mrmike

I like the direction you're taking with this "basic" kit Michael. The snappers can be more challenging at times. The body colour also reminds me of the McQueen Bullit Mustang. Is the Alclad finish on bare black plastic the same as gloss black paint? Too bad about the dog hair, it is always frustrating to do a repaint. How about shaving the dog! ?

Cheers Misha

I have acheived my goal with the dark green I have chosen!  I wanted a color that would remind someone of the Bullitt or Spenser For Hire Mustangs.  The bare plastic wheels have a dull or flat black color to them and so the finish was more of a bright silver or aluminum color that I was looking for instead of chrome.  As for the dog hair, well it's history!  I just removed the body from the stripper and gave it a good scrubbing.  I'll do some more sanding and then give it a coat of primer to see where I am at.  I find that detailing a snap kit is quite challenging as you have to think of and find a detail that can be improved upon.   

Shaving the dog...not going to happen!  The wife would kill me!!! 

Thanks for the info on the Alclad, I don't mind skipping primer and black, if not required.

I just finished the latest Camaro snap and in reviewing the glue kit, the front grills/vents are seperate pieces. Though overall happy with latest tech.

I understand about the Pooch.

Mr. Mike that color looks perfect for the car and looks like its smooth as glass and the interior detail looks great , it's amazing how these lil' snap kits can really come to life when some time and effort are put into then as shown by your example.

While the color may look perfect, there was a dog hair on the hood which resulted in the body being stripped and readied for new primer and paint.  Snap kits are becoming a new challenge for a lot of builders.  Adding detail to an otherwise plain model makes this an amazing looking model! 

I got about 98% of the old primer and paint off of the Mustang.  I'll finish sanding and will apply a coat of primer to check my work.

I got Spenser's 2015 Mustang painted with Model Master Fathom Green Metallic.  It looks a lot better than before with that big dog hair embedded in the paint on the hood.  So far, this is just two mist coats of paint.  I'll let this set for a bit before adding more paint.

Thanks David and Curtis!  

The repaint looks good!,do you plan on adding mirror's?looks kinda naked without them.

Curtis, I do plan on adding some exterior mirrors if I can find some in my parts box.  I haven't gotten around to doing that just yet.  It looks like someone without any ears! lol