Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fred Cady decals issues

Anyone had any issues using older Fred Cady decals ?

I bought them several years ago ( likely over ten years or more ) . But they have been stored in a static cling photo album ever since.

Took them out this week to use them and have had nothing but problems. Breaking apart when lifting them off the carrier sheet mad eit a lot of fun to do the car . And today I noticed they are loose on the car like there's no adhesive on the decal.  I had to lightly brush over them with future to hold them in place. ........At least I hope they stay once it all dries . 

Ive used dozens of his sheets over they years ,, most when they  were  new but some maybe 5 years or more age wise .  And not once have I ever had an issue in the past .

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come as I have dozens of them in my album .

Get some Micro Superfilm. A bottle will last a lifetime. I've started using the stuff on ANY old decals when I even THINK they might give me problems. Be sure to use it BEFORE you cut them from the backing. If you cut them first and then seal them, you'll play hell getting them off the backing paper.

Tamiya make a decal adhesive I've found to work well when the decals have lost adhesion

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87176/index.htm

It apaears it is not available in the US yet(Tamiya America) I would love to try it. I currently use Future under decals especially when they go on an unpainted surface like windows. It works very well when dry.