Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help..clear coat orange peel..

parkflyrer 50

Hi Tony, The best way to handle orange peel is to wet sand it out with a good polishing system. I use micro mesh sanding films starting at 3200 then 3600, 4000,6000, then 8000. then a polish and wax. You can get the sanding pads at most hobby stores. Orange peel is not all that uncommon and can be smoothed out but be gentled when wet sanding so you dont sand completely through the clear coat. I also do not apply BMF to my models before clear coating for just that reason. If I end up needing to wet sand out any orange peel it is really easy to end up sanding through to the BMF and ruining it. So I wait to apply Bare Metal Foil till after I have my paint and clear coats completely smooth and finished out. Hope this helps. And dont panic. Orange peel is a lot more common than you think. And like Snake said add a few extra coats of clear before starting the process.

Edited by microwheel

Orange peel is mostly due to low pressure in the can or compressor and spraying too heavy of coats when the paint isn't flattening or curing fast enough.

You can sand this down like Snake suggested and put down a few more clear coats since you also cleared over your BMF, not sure why folks do this, real cars you would never spray clear over chrome, no reason to, BMF is durable and does not peel off without effort. 

WARM the can of paint in hot running tap water in the sink or a bowl for 5-minutes before you spray out.... You should ALWAYS do this with any can of paint, the heat will increase the pressure in the can.