Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to simulate this ? Aoshima Diablo GT

diagt85.thumb.jpg.eec7ffdae0c2bd9ee803b1Hey guys I recently picked up the Aoshima Diablo GT kit. And I wanted to ask how to simulate the spark plugs? They are not traditional spark plugs. It appears to me that they have some kind of multi plug set up on each cylinder. The kit does not address these details at all. 

My first thought would be to maybe cut 12 pieces of half circle sterene piping if I can find it. Then drill small holes into them and insert metal wire. Then wrap that wire with a very thin dia wire. Paint black. Then use rubber hose for plug boots then insert a  slightly smaller one for the ignition wire.

Any other ideas? Does any company make these kinds of spark plugs so I don't have to scratch build one.

lamborghini__diablo_gt____2000_3_lgw.jpg

Edited by DiscoRover007

I don't think anyone makes aftermarket coil packs like you want; you might consider scratchbuilding the black coil pack itself and then casting multiples, then doing the wiring. Kind of surprised they didn't mold the coil packs on the valve covers. 

I was surprised as well. Even the aftermarket photoetch set doesn't provide a solution. This will take some creativity.

Maybe find a new kit, like a Challenger or Camaro and see if they have those on their valve covers and then shave them off. Or, find someone with a 3D printer

Thats a great thought. I just googled revell Camaro and it seems their 2002 and 2010 models use coil packs like that. That could be the ticket. Maybe there are some other models I should check too.

Edited by DiscoRover007

You  don't have coil packs like modern GM engines, but wiring harnesses that include, spark and fuel management, among other things.  These will run back to a control module.  Here is a single plug connection:

086_16_01_00.gif

To simulate these on a Ferrari SA Aperta:

DSCF9748_zps0x2msp1c.jpg

I drilled into the cap molded on the valve cover (much like the Diablo GT has).  I used a combination of ignition wire, thin heat shrink, thin guitar string and thin Pro-Tech braided lines to simulate the effect.  Since the Aperta control module was not visible, I only had to get the harness to an area where it would approximately be and not worry about finishing connections on that end.  You'll need some good photos of the engine area to get a representation of the effect.  It will take some time, but the result is worth it.

Here is a reference to the Lambo:  http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/lamborghini/diablo-gt-1999/all

You  don't have coil packs like modern GM engines, but wiring harnesses that include, spark and fuel management, among other things.  These will run back to a control module.  Here is a single plug connection:

086_16_01_00.gif

To simulate these on a Ferrari SA Aperta:

DSCF9748_zps0x2msp1c.jpg

I drilled into the cap molded on the valve cover (much like the Diablo GT has).  I used a combination of ignition wire, thin heat shrink, thin guitar string and thin Pro-Tech braided lines to simulate the effect.  Since the Aperta control module was not visible, I only had to get the harness to an area where it would approximately be and not worry about finishing connections on that end.  You'll need some good photos of the engine area to get a representation of the effect.  It will take some time, but the result is worth it.

Here is a reference to the Lambo:  http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/lamborghini/diablo-gt-1999/all

Thank you for your well thought response. You did a nice job on that Ferrari.

I know you mentioned the Diablo GT doesn't have modern GM coi packs. But heres a photo from a 2010 Camaro SS. If I could shave these off and attach ignition wires it might be quite convincing.

revell-rv7088-2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss.t

I do not have the Diablo GT kit as I don't care for the Diablo or Countach.  But, it appears the nub of the plug assembly is on the engine.  

If it protrudes enough, you should be able to drill in an angle and use it.  It would be a lot work to use the 2010 LS engine coil parts and you would need 2 engines (2 sets of covers) to get what you want to do.  

Picture1.gif