Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lace Graphic Mask or Decal

I use actual lace, if you look in the fabric section of a store (if your lucky there will be loads of different designs) for lace ribbon it is what I use. Just mask off where you dont want lace, then place the lace over the top and tape down the edges, and just a couple of very light dust coats of the colour you want the lace should give you the effect you want. Just be sure to remove the lace as soon as it's done as it can leave bits behind in the paint if it dries. Thats how I did my caddy and vw van roofs (both on here somewhere)

Joe, I asked exactly the same question not long ago. Some good discussion on the topic here:

As to your specific use on the side coves of '61 Ranchero, I'm working on that very kit at the moment and I think that would be tough to do, even in 1:1. The concavity would make it hard to get the lace to lie down flat. I believe in the real world, lace was usually done on flat or convex panels. The lace was just stretched tight and taped down at the edges and the paint shot at low pressure. I think maybe some painters would dampen the lace with water from a spray bottle to give it a little bit of "cling" before laying it on.

Slixx Decals announced yesterday they are releasing lace decals in three colors, Gold, Silver and Black.

Very cool! I'm at work where Facebook is blocked so can't see pictures if any. Are they going to be "positive" or "negative"? I think what we really need might be negative lace pattern decals.

Very cool! I'm at work where Facebook is blocked so can't see pictures if any. Are they going to be "positive" or "negative"? I think what we really need might be negative lace pattern decals.

To me it looks more like just patterned not actually the lace effect from back in the day.paintlace4-1.thumb.jpg.243c83e659d7d7883

Jairus had a good tip in the latest Slot Cars Magazine - spray adhesive (photo shows 3M photo mount)  - spray lightly on the lace and allowed to tack up to hold the lace in position.  spray the paint in a light coat, too heavy and the paint will flow under the lace.  This magazine is worth the price of admission just for the tips and tricks that can be used on model cars

Edited by Muncie

Look at a restaurant/bakery supply store for the little paper lace doilies that are used under cakes, and fancy deserts.

They are very thin, and come in different shapes, and sizes.

Not a bad idea. I'm going to do some snooping around in this area.