Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magazine article mid-late 60's Balsa bodied FE dragster?

I can't remember what magazine or issue had it, and it was a two part (at least) article. It was definitely in the 1966 - 1969 year range as I remember where I was living when I got the magazine back then. I don't think I ever had the issue with the second part of the article. The dragster was more than just a basic body, seem to remember it being more than that, but not sure. I was only 7 or 8 at the time. Maybe more aerodynamically styled?

The article was sort of a tutorial/how to on how to carve the body using balsa and then using plastic kit parts for the rest if I remember correctly. It was on the cover of the magazine that had the first part of the article at least.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Edited by russosborne

It was in Car Model and I think it was 1965. I've seen at least one part of it, maybe both. It might have been picked up in the Car Model Annual which I think came out around 1966 or 67, which fits your timeframe.

It was in Car Model and I think it was 1965. I've seen at least one part of it, maybe both. It might have been picked up in the Car Model Annual which I think came out around 1966 or 67, which fits your timeframe.

Snake is right here, although I think it was more mid-1967.  Aw....what the heck....let me go check.....(brief pause)......OK, here's the answer.  Car Model Magazine, March 1968, "Woodie Rail Job", also featured on the cover lower right hand corner.    TIM 

Snake is right here, although I think it was more mid-1967.  Aw....what the heck....let me go check.....(brief pause)......OK, here's the answer.  Car Model Magazine, March 1968, "Woodie Rail Job", also featured on the cover lower right hand corner.    TIM 

I'm sure you're right. Maybe I was thinking of the Annual because there were at least three other wood-based buildups in that IIRC--the '57 Chev sedan delivery, the '34 Ford panel truck, and a way-out custom roadster. That was a cool book! I should dig that out and re-read it tonight for the gazillionth time.

I'm pretty certain there was more than one such build, especially if one made it into a 1966 or '67 annual (compiled from earlier issues) and another article turned up in '68.

After looking at these, you'll understand why Revell parts pack dragster chassis are relatively easy to find, while the suspension parts meant to go with those chassis are thin on the ground...

Thanks guys. I'll start looking on eBay for it.

Russ

There's a site that has many of the old CM issues available for viewing. I don't have a link but you might be able to find it with some googling.

Worse comes to worst, I can scan that article for you, now that Tim has done the hard work and found out exactly what issue it's in. B) (Might take me a few days to get to it, though.)