Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Kenworth K100

As some of you may have noticed, I love building cabover Kenworths. Last month I decided to start on another one inspired by this truck:

I started with an AMT K123 kit. First I filled the "peep window" in the passenger side door, then filled the headlight panels so that I could add single headlights, then filled the holes for the kit door handles and moved the upright in the vent windows forward to represent an early 70's model cab. I also added a rear window and mounts for cab mounted exhaust and intake. Then it was time to lay some paint.

Next I assembled the chassis, and added a resin torsion bar suspension to the rear. For the wheels, I am using a cast resin spokes with split ring rims on the drives. I cut the center hub out on a pair of kit steer wheels from an AMT Diamond Reo kit, and added them to a pair of resin rims. This made it easier to paint the parts separately. I added some cast rubber tires all the way around for a vintage look. I added some weathering to the wheels and chassis using a light coat of grey paint through an airbrush, then a thin black wash.

I used the kit engine, as the real truck had a 350 Cummins. I replaced the transmission with a 4x4 transmission from the AMT Diamond Reo kit, as the real truck had a twin stick 4x4. Quarter fenders were scratch built using corrugated styrene sheet and some brass rod.

I stole a trick from Rob Nagle and used brass rod to make the grab handles. I also added a 3D printed grille and 3D printed interior cab fans. It is hard to see, but there is a cowboy hat resting on the dash waiting for the driver.

Here is a mock-up of the cab resting on the chassis. The exhaust and intake were scratch built.

I have been making some more progress lately. I finished up the plumbing under the cab, scratch-built the spring supports that hold the intake and exhaust up.

The cab is set in place to see how everything lines up. I still need to finish the mirrors, wipers, and a few other small details.