Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Roush Racing Ford Fusion

Jhedir6

Guys, 

I'm not a NASCAR guy, but as a Christmas gift I got one of the "new" Revell snap kits. So, I've decided I'm going to build it. I've been looking at pics from last season and decided on, if I can find a source, this livery from Roush Racing.

Biffle-Atlanta-RPP_zps2ska74cu.png

Does anyone know an aftermarkt source for these decals? I've been looking but no luck as of yet, but since I dont know NASCAR stuff well I figured it might be easier to ask. 

So if you know of a vendor or manufacturer that carries them, please post here or PM me.

Thanks

David

Edited by Jhedir6

huh..... I was there last night and didnt find them..do you remember which section you found them under? maybe I was looking in the wrong spot....

thanks very much

EDIT....NVM I found them, didnt realize he sectioned the NASCAR stuff off by car #'s. I've only ever bought sports car decals from him and they're under the car manufacturer or team name, so I was looking in the wrong sub section. 

Thanks Steve.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ok, so I got my decals in from Patto's and they're awesome. So I finally got some work done on this kit, atleast to the point of sharing some of it. 

This is my first NASCAR build in over 17yrs. I know I have a WiP going on for the Toyota but I actually started this one first. 

Starting with:

revell-monogram-joey-logano-22-shell-pen

And adding decals from Patto's Place I'm going for this:

Biffle-Atlanta-RPP_zps2ska74cu.png

Shamelessly I'll be using all of MarkJ's ideas from his Fusion builds to update the base Revell kit. You can see them here http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=90098

So I added some rocker panels and filled in the stock exhaust openings. I also filled in the front grill. Still to come are the exhaust ports, and the lower vents in the front air dam. As well as the updated parking lights. 

I also used Mark's lowering technique to slam the car down to its current ride height. I think it really makes a huge difference on the over all appearance of the car, without any of the other mods.

Some pics.

Side:

20170626_201102_zpsrfwnqasm.jpg

Left front:

20170626_201118_zpso3jbokzt.jpg

Right front:

20170626_201138_zpsy5so75zq.jpg

Hoping to get some more work done tonight and maybe on to paint tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in, comment and criticisms welcome and appreciate.

David

One suggestion, David... while Patto's decals are brilliantly designed and printed, in my experience they often don't fit... What I mean is, I think he designs them for a slot car body, often his own, and if you are not lucky enough to be building on exactly the same base model, then you are at the mercy of whether both your kit designer and slot car body designer managed to make the exact same shape when modelling the original. His 1/32 917 decals, for example are quite significantly off in both shape and size for the Airfix 1/32 kit.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying, if I were you, I'd paint the whole car black and cut up the decals to apply the coloured parts in separate blocks, and then gloss coat the whole thing.

best,

M.

One suggestion, David... while Patto's decals are brilliantly designed and printed, in my experience they often don't fit... What I mean is, I think he designs them for a slot car body, often his own, and if you are not lucky enough to be building on exactly the same base model, then you are at the mercy of whether both your kit designer and slot car body designer managed to make the exact same shape when modelling the original. His 1/32 917 decals, for example are quite significantly off in both shape and size for the Airfix 1/32 kit.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying, if I were you, I'd paint the whole car black and cut up the decals to apply the coloured parts in separate blocks, and then gloss coat the whole thing.

best,

M.

Matt, 

Thanks for the info, but I figured that already. When I ordered them from Bruce I get him to delete the back ground colour. I'll paint the car black, clear it then apply decals before doing another layer of Future over top, since his decals dont stand up to regular clear, or atleast according to him, he recommends using Future over his decals.  I'll post a pic in a bit of the actual decal sheet I got printed.

Edited by Jhedir6

A bit of progress. I adjusted the ride height again, and shortened the front and rear axles. I also opened up the front grill opening in preparation for some mesh in a frame, yet to be made. I also shot a test coat of primer and then blended in the rockers a bit more. 

20170629_082458_zpsfuuwvqrj.jpg

20170629_082522_zpspy2hjtau.jpg

Here's a shot of the Patto's Place decals with the background delete. They'll have to be trimmed more but alot easier to work with without the full background wrap.

20170629_081154%201_zps3ffsjptn.jpg

Hoping to get the rest of the body mods finished up today.

Thanks for looking in.

Mark, 

I thought so too, cause in most pics it looks like a sticker. But I think at some tracks they do use mess grills, cause this pic shows what looks like to be mesh, with tape blocking one side. I also have another pic with a band of tape across the middle with gaps at the top and bottom.

99ddcbf4-deb5-4947-80c8-32b923f559eb_zps

Sorry, I tried to blow it up more, but if you save it and then look at it in windows pic viewer you can zoom in on it better.

Source are pics from the Atlanta race from 2016. More from the same race here, and it looks like most of the cars have a mesh grille http://performance.ford.com/series/stock-car-racing/news/articles/2016/03/gallery--folds-of-honor-quicktrip-500.html

Edited by Jhedir6

No worries Mark. You had me thinking I was nuts. And yes, I do know the large grille between the headlights is just a sticker. I did mention I was stealing all your good ideas for these kits right?

David, I'm glad that you like my methods and there is no stealing going on here. I'm looking forward to your finished build.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to know what technology Platto uses for his decals. He is unwilling to discuss it.

Pretty sure Platos is using the OKI white laser printer along with a color version. It's out there on the net.....very $$$$ I still prefer the screen printed method I use for mine. 

With the release of the new glue Fusion's and work on the body mods stalled, I decided to just use the first of my new glue kits to on this project. I'll still use the snapper, eventually, but for now some progress. 

Paint is Scale Finishes black base coat and I'll be using a floor wax over the Patto's Place decals, it's not future but an industrial version made by Johnson's.

The decals aren't a perfect fit, the side looks good, but the roof decal isn't 100% lined up with the roof flaps, but its close enough that I can live with it.
Decals are a mix of kit (light/vents) and Patto's so far. I will add some of the Powerslide decals from Mike's to the windows/tire etc as I go.

For now, a couple progress shots.

20170727_171705_zpsq2i29uiw.jpg

20170727_171715_zps2iyfea3m.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hoping to finish the decals later tonight.

Decals about 95% done. Just need to add a few detail decals off of the Powerslide Goodies sheet. 

20170728_023229_zps1z1vyeku.jpg

20170728_023254_zpsw2exg1lw.jpg

28b4502b-d871-418b-923b-1db6f458d6ca_zps

Engine ready to be dropped in. OOB with valve cover decals from the Powerslide Engine Goodies set.

20170729_023644_zps7s2u3odi.jpg

20170729_023632_zpslqafipjm.jpg

20170729_023616_zps9zepeabu.jpg

Chassis work tomorrow.

If you would like the shine and mirror like qualitys of "Future" you should get "Pledge Floor care Finish" Also on the bottle it says "2x the shine".  I'm convinced its the same product as "Future". It even comes in the same bottle "Future" use to come in. You can buy it anywhere they sell floor care products. Probably even at your local grocery store.

Working the mods for my wheels. Wheel 1, stock. Wheel 2, wheel back center pre-drilled. Wheel 3, center of wheel back removed. Wheel 4, wheel back center and pin glued to back of wheel front. I also shaved down the center piece which reduces its height and will allow the wheel to sit back further on the brake rotor moving the wheel farther inside the wheel well. Also this mod will allow the brake discs to be visible through the wheel fronts. Off to the paint booth with these shortly. 

ed84b1c1-4f1b-432e-a3ee-54591dea9998_zps