Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Citroen 2cv 1:24 kit?

jakijem

Why ?? just doesn't make sense, it's £1 cheaper than the resin parts, and you've got to hopefully get the headlamps off without breaking them, then paint them, and then you're left with a diecast model with no headlamps, I bet the original poster is regretting even making his post asking which 2CV model is the better one.

I bet the original poster is regretting even making his post asking which 2CV model is the better one.

The way the opening post was phrased it was my impression that opinions were invited?

The 2CV was built for over 40 years, that fact alone spans a considerable chunk of history. From the bitter post war years, through the optimistic 50s,
the 'because we can' 60s, the hippie era, the disco era, the nonconformist anti nuclear and pro peace 80s, the 2CV was always there.
That it had acquired cult status already long before production finally ceased
and that virtually all owners added their personal touch makes not
one 2CV being like another.
So the first thing you will have to do is decide what you actually want to depict with your model, then chose the most suitable kit for this very project.

Christian, I'm impressed with the research and information you have on these cars. And thank you passing that info on to the rest of us. These cars and their variations have always been a little confusing to me. Mainly because of the lack of them in the United States. There are a few running on this side of the pond. But, like original (true) Minis, not enough. So your info is helpful. Now I'd like to see how the actual model kits look. To compare them. There is some written comparisons here. But, I'm more of a visual person. And the model built would help me even more in determining which one I'd like best. 

Scott

The way the opening post was phrased it was my impression that opinions were invited 

Opinions, yes, not the complete history of the 2cv, this was the first post by the original poster, if I was reading all this, I don't think I would be in a hurry to return, I take it he has access to the internet, so he could, if he wanted, find all this out for himself .....

Edited by GeeBee

Christian, I'm impressed with the research and information you have on these cars. And thank you passing that info on to the rest of us. These cars and their variations have always been a little confusing to me. Mainly because of the lack of them in the United States. There are a few running on this side of the pond. But, like original (true) Minis, not enough. So your info is helpful. Now I'd like to see how the actual model kits look. To compare them. There is some written comparisons here. But, I'm more of a visual person. And the model built would help me even more in determining which one I'd like best. 

Scott

Here's my build of the Tamiya version built a few years ago, after I've finished the Chrysler I'm building at the moment, I think I'm going to have a go at the Revell kit 

http://geoffbrown.webs.com/tamiyacitroen2cv.htm

Here's my build of the Tamiya version built a few years ago, after I've finished the Chrysler I'm building at the moment, I think I'm going to have a go at the Revell kit 

http://geoffbrown.webs.com/tamiyacitroen2cv.htm

Wow! And thank you. That is a very nice looking 2CV. I hope we can see your Revell kit someday too. 

Scott

Opinions, yes, not the complete history of the 2cv, this was the first post by the original poster, if I was reading all this, I don't think I would be in a hurry to return, I take it he has access to the internet, so he could, if he wanted, find all this out for himself .....

If you don't like my posts, just don't read them.

Wow! And thank you. That is a very nice looking 2CV. I hope we can see your Revell kit someday too. 

Scott

Found a Heller version in the stash I didn't know I had,so I've just ordered the paint to build both the Revell "Sauss Ente" and the Heller Vert Plantation versions, they'll be in the "On the Workbench" section once the Chrysler 300 has been finished.

Here are some I've built: 

I'd advise you to avoid the Gunze Sangyo kit. It is one of a very few kits that I've simply tossed in the trash rather than waste more time, effort, and energy trying to build it into a decent model. 

First of all, excuse me for not thanking you all earlier, I was waiting to collect the bigger number of answers possible before doing it. Once said that, I think the more info we get, the better. Even when I wasn´t specially interested in the development history or the car, it turned to be really interesting (to me, at least), so I´m grateful for this too.

I actually dont know which specific model of the several 2cv to build, but I wanted to choose the more accurate (and more modern mold), to avoid 70´s and 80´s molding mistakes. I come from military modeling, where we are familiarized with old mold kits and its unaccuracies and building problems.

I was firstly interested in the Tamiya kit (because in military models is a guaranty and seal of good fitting and easy building process) but after finding out its harder to find it (and more expensive when you find it), I think I´ll go for the last Revell kit, the Citroen 2CV "Sausss Ente" released on 2016.

Anyway it would be very interesting to find any comparision of the several models available in the market (https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=citroen+2cv) and to know when we are in front of a reboxed, an improved, or a completely new kit.

Thank's Geoff,  looks like the resin option is the best one right now, just have no need for the decals that come with it:rolleyes:

it was actually a special edition brought out by Citroen, after it was used in the film, complete with fake bullet holes !

http://lnx.2cvsemprecarichi.com/2cv-james-bond-007/

Edited by GeeBee

Here are some I've built: 

IMG_0389.jpg

DSCN2321.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

I'd advise you to avoid the Gunze Sangyo kit. It is one of a very few kits that I've simply tossed in the trash rather than waste more time, effort, and energy trying to build it into a decent model. 

very nice builds, I like the repair panel on the fourgonnette 

Edited by GeeBee

I was firstly interested in the Tamiya kit (because in military models is a guaranty and seal of good fitting and easy building process) but after finding out its harder to find it (and more expensive when you find it), I think I´ll go for the last Revell kit, the Citroen 2CV "Sausss Ente" released on 2016.

Anyway it would be very interesting to find any comparision of the several models available in the market (https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=citroen+2cv) and to know when we are in front of a reboxed, an improved, or a completely new kit.

Good choice, that will be my next build, I've just ordered the Vert Bamboo paint for it, I've also ordered the paint to do the Heller version afterwards, they should look nice in the display cabinet next to the Tamiya version 

Great. Now I need to build a Belgian 2-window with corrugated hood and the cool trunk and lights. Just as much work as I had for the French version, but far better color options. The 2 window always seemed to be the purest design, the original. Like a split window Bug or Vette. Everything else is just a concession and dilution. 

Thanks for the great info Geoff and Christian. I love the things also, but too few over here. Nice builds everyone. 

Off in a little bit of a weird direction. How is Heller's 1/43 2CV?

Scott

I have a couple of them and it looks quite nice. The Heller 1:43 kits have all of them less details than a 1:43 kit but go together quite nicely. The 1:43 2cv is an early one with corrugated bonnet. Not many parts and with good partsfit it can probably be built in a couple of days for most modelers.