Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit Karson's '33 3hree Window Coupe

Kit Karson

Looks awesome, bro! Glad to see it out in the wild.

What's the story on the multi-hued roof?

Keep an eye on this guy, Bill, it's like watching a brain surgeon at work. Maybe KK will share some roof construction photos. The work that went into it is nuts. Far beyond a simple "roof swap."

• Like 1

Man, this is sweet. Nice to see big pics on my computer rather than the ones on my phone on facebook.

I'm intrigued by the chop work, and the necessity for multiple bodies. I'm assuming that is to attain the wedge shape. Can't wait to see it all in one color to get a true feel for the design.

• Like 1

Nice work converting the AMT 5W to a 3W. Though I'm not usually a fan of a wedge-chop, you've hit the sweet-spot with this one. What's the story on the multi-hued roof?

It all started with the '33/'34 Ford 3hree Window Coupes from Monogram/Revell  & the AMT '34 5ive Window Coupe bodies.  The Monogram greenhouse is wider and a bit too long to fit the AMT body, but the upper rear corners of the door frame (lite openings) are far more correct than the Revell Snap Kit.  So, to get the right contours meant some slicing and dicing had to done to combine the varying components together to create the chopped '33 3hree window greenhouse. '33 coupe A pillar reconstruction and redoing the bracing was an integral part in assuring the body remained structurally sound during the reconstruction of the chopped top. 

'33 & '34 Ford 3 Window Coupe Project AMT, Monogram‏ & Revell.jpg

'33 coupe trip threes‏ Revell.jpg

'33 coupe trip threes‏ Monogram.jpg

'33 coupe trip threes‏ b.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep n.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep t.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep u.jpg

'33 coupe A pillar reconstruction patched‏ b.jpg

'33 coupe Door A pillars b.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction b.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction j.jpg

'33 coupe A pillar reconstruction filling in the bottom edge of the DS door‏.jpg

'33 coupe DS door A pillar e.jpg

'33 coupe A pillar reconstruction and redoing the bracing.jpg

Slick! Love it so far.

Was there much work involved in getting the '33 grille to fit the '34 hood and sides?

The AMT '33 Ford Street Rod 2dr Sedan Grilles‏ fit the AMT '34 Ford 5 Window Coupe without any modifications...

'33 Ford Street Rod 2dr Sedan Grilles‏ AMT.jpg

'34 Ford 5 Window Coupe AMT‏.jpg

'33 Ford Street Rod 2dr Sedan Custom Grille AMT‏.jpg

'34 Ford 5 Window Coupe AMT‏.jpg

'34 Ford 5 Window Coupe Stock Grille AMT‏.jpg

Edited by Kit Karson
  • Thanks 1

Looks awesome, bro! Glad to see it out in the wild.

Keep an eye on this guy, Bill, it's like watching a brain surgeon at work. Maybe KK will share some roof construction photos. The work that went into it is nuts. Far beyond a simple "roof swap."

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep b.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction g.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction c.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep n.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep o.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep m.jpg

'33 coupe PS roof reconstruction Monogram Prep r.jpg

'33 coupe A pillar reconstruction patched‏ b.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction f.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction c.jpg

'33 Coupe PS Door A Pillar Reconstruction j.jpg

'33 coupe A pillar reconstruction filling in the bottom edge of the DS door‏.jpg

'33 coupe DS door A pillar c.jpg

'33 coupe DS door A pillar e.jpg

'33 coupe PS door sill patch i.jpg

'33 coupe DS door sill patch‏ f.jpg

Lots of effort on that roof, but the final contours and proportions justify every bit of it, and you demonstrate remarkable forward vision to be able to determine exactly what needed to go where to provide the desired result. Good stuff here.  :D

Thanks, Bill!  It's a labor of the love,  replicating the '33 3hree Window Body and chopping it to its final glory!

Thanks, guys!  There's so much more to share with you on this build!  Combining the AMT '34 5ive Window Coupe and '34-Monogram Chassis together was another major task in preparing the '33's stance.  The Monogram '34 Chassis had more of a arch in the forward rails than the AMT's and offered a bit more frontend drop.  Every inch counts!  Then it was on to the '33 Coupe K-Member Mods by adding the Revell '40 Ford K-Member.  And removing the stock battery box, too!

'33 Chassis and '34 Chassis b.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ i.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ j3.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ j4.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ j5.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ k.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ l.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ r.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ u.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ w.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ x1.jpg

'33 Chassis Jig‏ y.jpg

'33 Ford 3hree Window Coupe‏ a.jpg

'33 Coupe K-Member Mods 1.jpg

'33 Coupe K-Member Mods 2.jpg

'33 Coupe K-Member Mods 3.jpg

'33 Coupe K-Member Mods 5.jpg

'33 Coupe K-Member Mods 7.jpg

'33 Coupe K-Member Mods 9.jpg

'33 coupe floor board replacement before and after a.jpg

'33 coupe floor board replacement a.jpg

'33 coupe floor board replacement complete.jpg

'33 Coupe Chassis PS.jpg

This is the kind of sweating-the-details that you see in the best of the real-world cars, and the things that make the difference between just another hot-rod and something that has the elusive magic that knocks the viewer's socks off...but isn't immediately obvious. More sincere kudos.  :D

Are you still active in ACME?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

This is the kind of sweating-the-details that you see in the best of the real-world cars, and the things that make the difference between just another hot-rod and something that has the elusive magic that knocks the viewer's socks off...but isn't immediately obvious. More sincere kudos.  :D

Are you still active in ACME?

Wow! Put your socks back on, Bill!  You're right... when it is finished and all is said, few will even realize what went into it or where it all began.  I truly appreciate the observation and kind feedback, Sir!

ACME is alive and well... our monthly meeting is this Sunday and I will be attending!

WP_20161218_038.jpg

Edited by Kit Karson

Great to see your posting, KK. I dig the concept - all the grace and drama of the dry lakes look tamed for the street. Gorgeous proportions - not too hot, not too cool... just right! I share Bill's observations, natch.

Hey, Brother!  Thank you for the kind comment!  Glad to be back!!

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Kit Karson's '33 3hree Window Coupe