Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lancia 037

dougwintz

Hi. I'm starting work on a Lancia 037, by Hasegawa. Actually, a pretty cool kit with engine detail. I'm working my way through the interior and the engine bay. Have some more pieces to add. And i have to say that everytime I take photos of work in progress I see flaws, like the seam on a transmission or exhaust. Wonder why I don't see it while I'm building. Could it be my fading eyesight! At any rate, these photos kind of keep you honest in terms of spotting flaws. 

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

Edited by dougwintz

Don't beat yourself up, apparently the camera sees things your eye doesn't.

I bet this look FANTASTIC in real life. Your paint and decals look really precise.

Umm, a question though: are the clutch and accelerator pedals the wrong way around? I would have thought that the long thin pedal would be the throttle and be on the right while the pedal with the cut out would be on the left shaped to clear the wheelwell. I grant you that this car was insane (and Italian!) so I guess anything is possible :-)

Cheers

Davoski

Nice catch LOL. 

All part of the service.

I have been a rally competitor on and off for over 35 years finishing up with a Subaru WRX STi  and currently have a Lancer Evo8 as a road car but I reckon the Lancia type 037 was amongst the most insane of an insane bunch! Until the FIA banned Group B. Turbocharged AND supercharged if I recall.

BTW, that hole in the LH seat is not for the crotch-strap, it provides clearance for certain parts of the drivers anatomy! ;-)

All part of the service.

I have been a rally competitor on and off for over 35 years finishing up with a Subaru WRX STi  and currently have a Lancer Evo8 as a road car but I reckon the Lancia type 037 was amongst the most insane of an insane bunch! Until the FIA banned Group B. Turbocharged AND supercharged if I recall.

BTW, that hole in the LH seat is not for the crotch-strap, it provides clearance for certain parts of the drivers anatomy! ;-)

Wow, that's a great background. I've got a 2011 EvoX and before that the first VW R32 model that came to the US.  I'm not a rally competitor nor an expert in any way there but I've had the Evo on the track. Building these models lets me stay involved at least on that level. 

I've got a 2011 EvoX and before that the first VW R32 model ....

Haha, so you understand the concept that cars are expensive and addictive no matter what the scale!

Or, as we say in Australia, "If it's got wheels or t*ts, you're going to have trouble with it".

Ok. Little more progress. I cleaned up the engine a little and added a heat deflector for the exhaust (which conveniently covered up a gap) and various oil and gas lines following reference pictures as best I could. Also reversed the pedals so the gas is on the right (Davoski!). Think I need to add the gas tank as a final touch there. IMG_2573.thumb.JPG.e9df130ddf08f8f5b9ec4

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

... apparently the camera sees things your eye doesn't.

First ... GREAT looking build.

Second ... there is a lesson here.  The camera does see things your eyes don't.  After I build even the smallest thing and think it looks pretty good, I take a couple pictures and give things another look.  And I ALWAYS find something that needs just a little more attention.  Today's modern cameras with their close up lenses are great and you can take as many photos as you want ABSOLUTELY FREE.  It's a great tool for the model builder.