Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 Kenworth K-100 discontinued

I'm willing to bet it's because of the huge amount of parts replacement claims they're getting on it! I bought five and out of the five kits, there was one broken cab and the chrome tree with the bumpers and grill has very bad plating. It was the same in all five of my kits. Heard many others saying the same thing.

This kit just came out and now it's Discontinued what gives ? #85-2513

Model kits are almost always produced in set quantities, as the manufacturing process can turn them out at the rate of about one every 2-3 minutes.  As such, the factories that mold them don't have a molding machine assigned to each tool, but rather the tooling is changed out from run-to-run.  They base the size of a production run on the expected sales of any kit on projected sales over say, a 3-6 month timeframe.

If a certain kit, be that a truck or a car really takes off in the marketplace, it will be reordered from the factory again (and possibly again, and again, and again), if not, then not.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

All three I bought have perfect cabs and chrome. All three came from different places (my LHS, one from Tower and one from Mark Twain Hobbies) and all three were fine. I wouldn't be swayed from buying another. Just make sure the box isn't crushed

Huh... I was just in a shop today that had 3 of them on the shelf.   I'm wondering if it's worth going back and grabbing a couple if they are going to have broken cabs etc.  ??

The cabs being broken is not as common as the chrome being bad, I'd say, so far, about 10% have had broken cabs but 80% have had defective chrome (going by reviews in several groups) I bought five of them. One broken cab that has already been replaced but one chrome tree in every kit, the same tree, had really bad chrome. It looks like there was sand on the parts when they were plated. Revell has said they will replace them but it might be a while.

The cabs being broken is not as common as the chrome being bad, I'd say, so far, about 10% have had broken cabs but 80% have had defective chrome (going by reviews in several groups) I bought five of them. One broken cab that has already been replaced but one chrome tree in every kit, the same tree, had really bad chrome. It looks like there was sand on the parts when they were plated. Revell has said they will replace them but it might be a while.

Hmm...   ok, down to the bench I go to inspect the chrome trees.

Thx

Chrome looks good on this kit  -- which chrome tree is the one that is messed up ?

I must have gotten one of the 20% good kits -- may have to run back to the shop and grab the other one on the shelf.

The tree with the bumper, grill, etc. is the tree that is bad in all five of my kits. Be sure to take it out of the plastic bag to check it. I first looked at mine while still in the bag and they looked fine. Then someone said you have to remove it from the bad to see it.

I just got mine, the chrome plating is perfect but the cab is cracked, it's split from the passenger side windshield down to the grille opening.
So it looks like it can be either or, and I just requested a replacement cab.
I saw Revell will reissue the K-100 Aerodyne for the second or third quarter this year and I hope they fix the problems for that one.

Edited by Force

• 3 weeks later...

They did the same with the Transport Trailer, it was out for a bit, they discontinued it really fast and two months later or so it was back and has been for some time now.

Hopefully this comes back when they sort any issues out.