Model Cars Magazine Forum

New AMT Futuristic Custom Car Models

I'm waiting for ICM to do their Packard in either 1/25 or 1/24 scale. 1/35 is a little odd. I thought I heard rumors not that long ago, they were going to offer their Packard in a more common scale? 

Scott

That's the one I meant - hope they go 1/24 like they did with the Opel.

REMEMBER THEIR BUSINESS MODEL IS RETRO PACKAGING AND TO0LING FROM THE GOLDEN ERA OF MODELING 1958-1969, THOSE KIDS ARE NOW RETIRING, HOW MANY MORE KITS DO YOU EXPECT US TO BUY?? IF IT DOESN.T HAVE NEW PARTS, DECALS, OR BOX ART , I AM NOT GOING TO BUY IT, IF I ALREADY HAVE 2 OR 3 IN THE STASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . IF I WANT THOSE GM SHOW/ DREAM CARS THEY ARE MADE IN 1/18 DIECAST. THE LIMITED MARKET IS ALREADY FILLED FOR THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick note.

Name of the third part model maker is Model King.

Maybe they'd be interested in 50's early 60's custom show cars.

Darryl Starbird has built some pretty on the mark cars.

Dean Jeffries was hired by AMT in the past.Those are good ones.

For large scale the 1/16th MPC Cobra would be nice to see.

Anyhow I might put some customizing tips in the Tips and Tricks section here.

How to make a custom grill for bucket T roadster would be good one.

Custom bucket T body. Lot of custom show cars used that as take off point.

Do it ourselves in the meantime.

Edited by regular guy

ICM is an Eastern European Military Model Company. 1/35 & 1/72 Scale models are their bread & butter. The 1/24 scale auto models are a very niche product for them. I too, have read the rumors about a possible 1/24 version of the Packard. My guess is that sales of the current 1/24 scale kits, have favoured the Model T Fords, and not the others, which is why we are getting another Model T, (the Chemical Firefighting Runabout) rather than a new tool.

But this is all mostly speculation on my part. Having bought and built some ICM kits, they have gotten vastly better over the years. I suspect that if the 1/24 kits sell well in Europe and Asia, we will see more of them as time goes on.

Perhaps if you'd be paying attention to some other threads you would've seen the the Silhouette is being reissued again. The Model King is not a manufacturer. He is simply paying for companies to reissue kits under his business name to sell and for distribution. Round 2 stopped doing this for him years ago although he has limited items done through Revell and Mobius. This still takes time, money and someone with enough knowledge to be able to track down the proper mold inserts or knows what may need to be retooled and at what cost to even make sure anything moving forward would be a good investment on everyone's part.

Again if you'd take time and research or at least Google some of this you'd be able to find out who to contact and at least write them a request. Instead you post uninformed proclamations here with nothing of any substance to back them up.

Edited by Phirewriter

Thank you for heads up on Silhouette.

That is a great example of a Futuristic custom show car.

My apologies to you if minor factual errors irritate you.

Like in Hollywood. I'm a story man. I'm not a screenwriter.

Idea man.Conceptualist. Other people contribute to finish project.

Anyhow I will post pictures of any cool show cars in this 1:1 section.

I guess that's one way to do it.

Certainly does look like a lethargy here regarding 50's early 60's Go Go custom show cars.

Oh well.

"I got me a policy. I let people do what they want to do."-Hondo

I myself am getting busy building custom  car bodies.

Is cool that AMT is reissuing Silhouette.

Owned a Devin rolling chassis right after high school so this isn't something new to me.

Edited by regular guy

Never heard of it. How about a picture Mark?

We were watching Star Trek and they had a futuristic show car in it. You had to look quick to see it.

It was the episode where it's a modern Roman Empire planet. Season two. Car was called the Jupiter 8 for the show.

I saw the name for that kind of styling but I forgot. It's clean but complex..

Like the Eldon Invader and the Piranha.

The Virgil Exner Modern Classics would work for me. They're not really like the individual show cars though.

Round2/AMT could probably get the rights to those.

That kind of styling went from the 50's into the early and mid 60's.

There were a few 'last gasps' in the early 70's but the s[ace/futuristic look went bye-bye.

Will post some good pic's in the 1:1 section here.

Well while were at it....Id love to see Revell/Monogram re-issue the (Un-Real Roller) kit...

Must be the futuristic custom car that started the steamroller wheel trend...;)

Image result for Unreal Roller) kit.

Maybe he's a heavy equipment operator.Union in Chicago.:)

He's got a point.Customized heavy equipment models are far and few between.

Anyhow Big 3 Design Studio like Futuristic show cars are a nice little niche in model making.

Keeps you from buying anything and everything.

The Deora isn't bad looking. Good example of 'Space Race' styling.Clean taut surfaces.

The MPC Transporter and AMTronic are like that.

Then AMT built the Piranha with same styiling so they knew what was going on.

'To boldly go where no man has gone before!'

We used to talk to the guy that retired from operating the big crane at Long Beach Naval Yard.

The largest crane in the world that was taken from Germany as war repayment.

So is he a cruise ship captain? I'm not a good guesser.

AMT is probably bringing out that XR8 since they've brought back the Silhoette.

The Lindberg Diamond Duster would be great! Anybody know the original name of it?

It was a lot better.

The tooling for the XR-6 (not 8) no longer exists (based on what I have been told by sources that I trust and that have proven reliable in the past).  

There is a detailed article showing the original issue XR-6 kit buildup in an issue of Model Cars Magazine from about three years ago or so - I'm sure it is still available as a back issue for anyone who wants more info on this kit that was released only once, in late 1963.   

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

That picture of car and William Shatner is probably the one.

Well AMT and MPC put out Star Trek kits so there we go.

They can come out with the Jupiter 8 with a little bonus figure of Captain Kirk included.

Probably better to use the real name of showcar, whatever it was.

We want the XR6!

That's one of the coolest cars AMT ever made.

There must be more forgotten showcars from AMT or MPC or even Lindberg around.

Must be the futuristic custom car that started the steamroller wheel trend...;)

Image result for Unreal Roller) kit.

Bill.... Yep...I need one of these...might make me feel a bit younger and that is a good thing these days...LOL..

That picture of car and William Shatner is probably the one.

Well AMT and MPC put out Star Trek kits so there we go.

They can come out with the Jupiter 8 with a little bonus figure of Captain Kirk included.

Probably better to use the real name of showcar, whatever it was.

We want the XR6!

That's one of the coolest cars AMT ever made.

There must be more forgotten showcars from AMT or MPC or even Lindberg around.

The car you're talking about is the Reactor, and it appeared n a couple of other shows as well.

You can add the Lindberg Serpent to the list.

It's coming out in May.

That's the kind of car I'm talking about exactly.

Custom nosecone and custom body. That leaves the engine open.

That was a whole approach to building custom cars.

The other way was 'full body'.

The roadster type really hits me where I live.

You can put some style in the nosecone and body plus the engine compartment's open

to show off engine (plus workability on engine).

Good job Lindberg. Might be made in USA too.

Here's the link to gee how about that? A Model Car Magazine forum post.

I like the nosecone but I'd do the body different. I like the way he got the firewall/cowl down low.

Then the wide tires and wheels point to handling. I'm going to file these ideas away.

Most bucket T's are straight line only.

Looks like he sectioned it.Cut out a horizontal section of T body and put it back together.

Anyhow it's the right idea. Futuristic space race restyling of a Bucket T.

I've spent a lot of time going through the "Dave's Show Rods" website checking out the crop of kits from the heyday of show rods; it's a pretty good history of the era. He also has a subsection of "interpretations" built by fans, many of which are definite improvements over the original (and a few which are... well, NOT.) I was surprised to see just how many kits were available in the "show car" classification, and by the number of which are "hidden" inside otherwise "normal" kits.... many of the custom parts in AMT Trophy series kits are based on parts used in popular customs on the show circuit of the day. Dig deep, read OLD instruction sheets and "little pages" rod magazines... the raw material is out there.