Model Cars Magazine Forum

What options come in the Little Tee ?

Several changes have happened over the years. As mentioned the turtle deck and the oval gas tank that were in there (needed to build a lil rod or a lil drag)have been deleted. The headers are significantly different in the first couple of issues than in the latest few. Also the 6x2 barrel intake and carbs went away, the seats and interior bucket were retooled, and the wheels and tires are different. On the plus side, somewhere along the way the matching trailer was added. Overall it went from 60's hot rod T bucket to late 70's fad T. Not an improvement IMO. Unfortunately the unique roll bar that the Big drag uses was never duplicated in smaller scale in the lil T. Or any other kit that I am aware of.

I have the latest couple of releases of this kit. I will eventually build one as a 70s Fad T, but I would like to back date one to look like the original release. A lot of the Monogram kits recycled parts such as wheels from one kit to another. Is it possible to find the 6x2 intake or the wheels in another kit that is easily available? Maybe use parts from the Blue Bandito or some other kit?

Over the years I've been collecting parts and glue bombs of various Monogram hot rods to strip of period parts. The '30 Woody has a Chevy motor with the six carb setup. The '30 phaeton has a 3-2bbl setup. Both these are easy to find since they've been reissued often. The restored Blue Beetle has similar brake backing plates but I don't know how well they would interchange. 

The Lil Coffin's Hemi and suspension can be easily adapted for a different look. I've been messing with this for a while. I'm sure there's more but I've been trying to finish some other projects and haven't had these on the bench for a while.

Edited by Phirewriter

Your post has reminded me of some fun stuff! I have a Black Widow finished and on the shelf, a Long John in the works and a Blue Beetle sitting in the to do pile. I also have several Tom Daniels kits waiting including almost enough of two Poison Pintos to make one.

Sadly, if R/M was going to bring back the Little T, I think they would have done it already. They just rereleased this kit again, so I doubt they would throw tooling dollars at it again, at least not for a few years. I hope I'm wrong.

A few of us were talking at the KKIM meeting over the weekend, and just really wishing R/M would capitalize more on the nostalgia dollars that are available right now in the hobby. they don't have to go all out like Round2, but they could do more, and a lot could be done with a very modest investment. Think about the success they've had dabbling in it so far. Black Widow- sold out first run, had to release another. Blue Bandito- sold out quickly. There's so much in their tooling inventory that would require little to no investment to capitalize on the nostalgia. But this is all just my opinion.

I've got one of these in the Good Guys box  that I plan to build when I retire but I've been saying that for years - thought about selling it to a good home but I just looked at www.eModelCars.com but all I could see were generic topics and adverts from Amazon. Nowhere to advertise my Ford!

I planned to put the trailer wheels on the front axle and the spokes on the trailer, seems to be crying out for that. Chuck some slicks in the trailer and swap them all around at the strip.

-Don.

Edited by DonW
typo

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Interesting how even though we've "Been there" many people respond positively to a new post. Maybe they haven't seen the previous post due to it being old , unavailable through the useless search feature or it is just more convenient to respond to the current post.;)

Read the first post first, the second post second, No need for a search'.. Both were interesting in their own special way   

29 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Maybe they haven't seen the previous post due to it being old

That's why people add a reply to an existing post discussing the same topic, rather than starting a new, redundant topic.

33 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

unavailable through the useless search feature

Stop using that as an excuse. It's incredibly easy to find what you're looking for here on the forum, and there has been a pinned post detailing exactly how to do just that for almost five years:

It takes less than a minute to search, and it definitely takes longer than that to type up a new post, so...:

35 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

it is just more convenient

...^is clearly not true. Once could also argue creating multiple new posts discussing the same topic makes it more difficult for people to find information, and that goes contrary to the entire reason for this forum existing. You were a teacher, Greg, so surely you can understand the appeal of being neat and concise when it comes to disseminating information.

No worries, people here are aware of how this goes, and judging by your comments after your new posts are merged with existing topics, you are, too. We're rarely dealing with time-sensitive topics here to be honest, as most of these kits have been around for decades, and the discussions surrounding them are just as valid now as they were when the kits were first issued.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2017 at 5:59 PM, oldcarfan said:

I have the latest couple of releases of this kit. I will eventually build one as a 70s Fad T, but I would like to back date one to look like the original release. A lot of the Monogram kits recycled parts such as wheels from one kit to another. Is it possible to find the 6x2 intake or the wheels in another kit that is easily available? Maybe use parts from the Blue Bandito or some other kit?

The Blue Bandito intake setup is for a Cadillac engine and the carb spacing is different.  But the good news is that every issue and reissue of the old Monogram Woody Wagon has the correct Weiand Drag Star intake and 6 Strombergs for the Little T. 

20170517_223220-vi.jpg