Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Citroen 2CV "Sausss Ente"

GeeBee

As I'm waiting for some tools to arrive from China, so I can do the photo etch on the Chrysler 300, so before i have to divert all my attentions to my photography business, I thought I should just have enough time to start another build, but might not get it finished until later in the year.

After building the Tamiya 2CV, I bought the Revell 2CV charleston back in 2011, although I still haven't even started that one, last year I bought their latest 2CV, the Sausss Ente, I will, now and again, compare this kit to the Tamiya version, Later on I will be building the Heller version, so I can do a comparison between all three makes, Tamiya, Revell & Heller.

With most builds, the first thing I like to do is prepare the body for painting, and then move onto the engine, gearbox and chassis, and then the interior, before getting everything in primer, then sorting parts into groups of the colour they need to be airbrushed.

Looking at the body, there some very fine mold lines on the front wings, but that really is it, probably one of the better bodyshell I've worked on lately, the mold lines were taken care of with a medium sanding stick, which took basically 5 minutes, unlike the Tamiya and Heller versions, the front wing tops are molded as part of the body, the front indicator and rear light surrounds are also molded as parts of the bodyshell

Although just resting in place, the bonnet is a much better fit than the Tamiya version

The roof panels are supplied as two seperate options, roof open or closed, with the Tamiya version, you can choose after the model is finished, with this one, you need to choose before fitting the roof panel or the top open.

This is the first Revell model I've built with the new colour instructions

The grille for the cooling fan is molded as a clear part, which needs to have a decal fitted over it, so it needs to be kept in clear, so it was masked up, leaving the details that need to be painted un-masked

Driveshafts were dry fitted into the bottom of the gearbox, a bit of a tight fit that needed a little trimming

Inner wings dry fitted, there's a diagram in the instruction to modify them, so after dry fitting the steering arms and inner wings, I found out that the only reason they would need to be modified to get the steering to turn full lock, as I'm displaying them model with the wheels in the straight ahead position, I'm going to leave the wings as they are

The front seats have two flashed over holes in the inside of them, cars registered in Germany had to by law, have head restraints fitted to the front seats, so they need to be drilled out before the seat backs get fitted

The front seats have a very nice detailed seat frame, much better than the Tamiya version

Head restraints dry fitted

Chassis with suspension fitted

There's four injector pin marks on the inside of the bonnet that need taken care of

Injector pin marks removed and hinge fitted

Seams in the seat backs were filled with two part filler

Sanded smooth

All parts ready for a coat of primer

Duck Sauce?

I always loved these little cars.  A long time ago I worked on one that had waddled down to NJ from Canada.  A very nicely kept two-tone, red over black.  As I recall, the driver was a pretty little bird as well.

Edited by tedd60

Yesterday I spent some time getting all the parts in primer, they will now be sorted into groups of the colours they need to be airbrushed

This morning I got the body and body parts airbrushed in Citroen Bamboo green, and the wheels and bumper airbrushed in Citroen Rose grey

Coming along nicely! Where'd you find those little metal clamps? 

I found my first lot at T K Maxx, then I ordered some of the internet, Amazon have them, very handy for holding parts together why the glue dries, and as I do, hold small parts for painting, I put them where the missing paint won't be seen, usually where they need to be glued onto another part, 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M17QFQK?psc=1

I love the color Geoff, Its really starting to come along nicely. How is the Mopar coming along.

I must get back to it Jim, once I get the back window fitted, the body can go on, should get it finished before I get too busy with the photography, did a little polishing on the 2CV today, it's not concours, but 2CV's never were, so I don't want it looking too unrealistic, just the boot and the other side to do, and the decals can go on

Polished_zpsefdhmbfc.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Finished off the polishing on the bodyshell, it's a shame that most of the side is going to be covered in decals, got the seats airbrushed and then masked up to paint the sides and back, I also masked up the side panels, I didn't have any of the paint that Revell listed in the instructions, and didn't have the Humbrol equivalent, so ended up mixing my own using Testors enamels, 

Also got the headlamps and wheel hubcaps airbrushed in chrome Alclad

Also got the roof panel and all other parts that needed to be airbrushed in satin black, and the chassis in gloss black, 

Got the side panels airbrushed, just got to mask them so the black trims can be airbrushed

Trim airbrushed on the seats, mixed the shade up myself, supposed to be American tan, it's close enough,just need the seat belt holder to be picked out in black

Head restraints airbrushed 

A little bit of work on the engine

Just need the decal putting on to replicate the fan grille

... and at one time you could by all the wonderfulness this car is, for less than half the price of a VW Beetle.

If you look up the 2CV on Wikipedia, you'll find a picture of a maroon/black two-tone.  It's one of the few cars that would not be out of place in a Monet, elegant in it's simplicity.

You are doing a nice job on a car I love.

... and at one time you could by all the wonderfulness this car is, for less than half the price of a VW Beetle.

If you look up the 2CV on Wikipedia, you'll find a picture of a maroon/black two-tone.  It's one of the few cars that would not be out of place in a Monet, elegant in it's simplicity.

You are doing a nice job on a car I love.

Thats the Charleston, back when that was launched over here in the U.K, i did some of the promotional photos of it for Citroen U.K 

I've got quite a bit done in the hobby room today, after a trip abroad this weekend, even though it was work related, I think I just needed a break from the hobby room to get my motivation back, it looks like with the work that's coming in, this and the Chrysler might be the last models from me this year, done a little airbrushing and got the interior built up, added the decal to the cooling fan housing, and got the engine fitted, 

Evening Geoff. Your interior is looking amazing my friend. I totally understand what you mean about having limited time in the hobby room. Its gonna be tight on build time for me as well this year. The wife retires the end of may and I retired 2 years ago. With her being in remission with her cancer, she wants to travel for awhile starting this summer. So we have to start getting the house ready to sell this spring (lots to do on it) and we have to finish getting the motor home ready for traveling.

Evening Geoff. Your interior is looking amazing my friend. I totally understand what you mean about having limited time in the hobby room. Its gonna be tight on build time for me as well this year. The wife retires the end of may and I retired 2 years ago. With her being in remission with her cancer, she wants to travel for awhile starting this summer. So we have to start getting the house ready to sell this spring (lots to do on it) and we have to finish getting the motor home ready for traveling.

The only bit I don't like about the travelling is the time spent in the air, went to Japan last year, and going again this year, just under 12 hours in the sky, and then getting to Japan and their 8 hours ahead of the U.K, it get very tiring, but worth the trip, luckily I enjoy my photography so much, I really don't class it as work, the trip to Brazil in May takes around the same as Japan, but luckily I don't need to travel down to London for the flight, so time spent in the hobby room will be a lot less this year, and won't be buying anymore model kits for a while to come, as I've got more than I'll ever build in the stash already, but come the winter, I'll be back at the bench with a fresh mind and motivation.