Model Cars Magazine Forum

Page Resin

Gary, no he's only on Facebook.  Ask to be a friend and there is a price list and some photos.   His name is Pedro.   Very nice quality.  Porscheman did the '76 Caddy.  They are complete kits.  Bumpers and hubcaps need to be chromed.  Here is the link for the built one. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/121061-76-cadillac-wagon/.   Steve 

Edited by vintagercr
Added a few things

Gary, no he's only on Facebook.  Ask to be a friend and there is a price list and some photos.   His name is Pedro.   Very nice quality.  Porscheman did the '76 Caddy.  They are complete kits.  Bumpers and hubcaps need to be chromed.  Here is the link for the built one. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/121061-76-cadillac-wagon/.   Steve 

Pedro may be vending at a show tomorrow, and no need to have the wheel covers chrome plated as I just used Spaz-Stix on some dog dishes this week and they came out lookin' great.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I really wish I had known about this stuff two months ago. I bought a 67 Supernatural Impala 4 dr ht transkit from him...I never would have bought it if I had seen this thread first...The kit is of great quality though, and is a car I've wanted to build forever, but now I have to think it might be a recast of someone else's work too?? Does anybody know?

It matters because it is theft of another persons work. Just because said item is not currently available does not give a thief the right to copy it and sell it as his own. Every kit that is stolen from the Modelhaus makes the Modelhaus (which is for sale) less attractive to a prospective buyer. Why would anyone step up and buy the Modelhaus if its items have been pirated? Every pirated kit you guys purchase is a personal slap in the face to Don Holthaus or whomever is being ripped off. I spoke with Don the other day and he certainly is not happy about it. What can he do? Nothing but rely on his customer base and friends he has made over the years to back him up and not support the thieves out there.

I have some thoughts an a question on this topic. I am watching a YouTube channel of a guy who openly admits to recasting a resin part an offering it for sale. Then on another channel the guy is recasting parts that are either discontinued or only wanted to buy one. My question is how many of these "originals" where made from scratch an how many started with copyrighted parts from the major model companies?

From conversations with Don and Carol over the years, they said that he had written approvals from the model companies to reproduce parts for kits that were long out of production and would never be produced again.  He also purchased the kits or models he used as masters and in most cases improved upon the original part. Don was also an avid model builder who mastered most of his own kits. The only time that ran afoul of written approval was when the mastered and produced those early GMC pickup truck conversion parts.  They did the work based on a verbal approval from someone at GM and when that person left the position, the new guy came in a suddenly wanted a royalty before he'd provide written approval.  Supposedly, they negotiated and finally got written approval, without royalties, a couple of years ago, just as they announced their retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy, The kit manufactures are not too worried about the reproduction of replacement parts for long out of production kits. As far as trans kits based on current kits,,, they have little issue there. After all, you need to purchase the kit to complete the package. 

I too would not support a thief but I gotta think that if a part was no longer offered by company A that I would but this part from someone else if they recast the original part...if co A  was concerned about this they shouldn't have discontinued the part.  the same as us as individuals casting copies of kit parts for our use...there have been many "how tos" regarding this posted here and on other websites.  anybody know what the royalty payment for revell to produce a new Camaro kit for example?  it couldn't be a huge number or revel couldn't afford to pay it as according to research it cost at least 150,000 bucks to physically produce new kit-tooling and mfg costs, etc.  kind of a rant...sorry...in the past I lobbied with Shelby motorsports over a 5 year period to somehow get a 1/25 full detail kit of the  Shelby Daytona coupe in production.  revell said they would love too but that Shelby just wanted tooooo much money.  maybe im naïve but aren't model kits a form of advertisement for the car mfgs...how many of us built a kit as a child and said"im gonna own a real one when im grown?"

It matters because it is theft of another persons work. Just because said item is not currently available does not give a thief the right to copy it and sell it as his own. Every kit that is stolen from the Modelhaus makes the Modelhaus (which is for sale) less attractive to a prospective buyer. Why would anyone step up and buy the Modelhaus if its items have been pirated? Every pirated kit you guys purchase is a personal slap in the face to Don Holthaus or whomever is being ripped off. I spoke with Don the other day and he certainly is not happy about it. What can he do? Nothing but rely on his customer base and friends he has made over the years to back him up and not support the thieves out there.

Am I incorrect, but I thought the moulds are not part of the Modelhaus sale of business?

Tommy, The kit manufactures are not too worried about the reproduction of replacement parts for long out of production kits. As far as trans kits based on current kits,,, they have little issue there. After all, you need to purchase the kit to complete the package. 

When Modelhaus evaporates, they will by saying the same thing in 5 years.

From what I have heard, model companies not only have to pay a royalty to the builder of the 1:1 car, but in the case of a NASCAR model, they also have to pay a royalty to each one of the sponsors shown on the decal sheet. Yeah, it does seem strange................the sponsors pay the race team to put the logo they own on the car, and when a model company puts their logo on a decal sheet, THEY have to pay the logos owner. Yes, it WOULD seem as good advertising for the car company, the race team, and even the logo owners. Back in the day, car companies gave away promo models as advertising for their cars..........................and often included one if you bought a car from them. My how things have changed................and not for the better. Give me the 50's and 60's again, any day!

Not sure I understand what your asking. "They" being the kit manufactures or, "they" being those that want to copy Modelhaus products.

Those that no longer want to produce. If Modelhaus does'nt make more and nobody buys and produces Modelhaus, how is it different than AMT, MPC or Johan copied by Modelhaus now?. Most of Modelhaus is copies albiet sometimes modified.