Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 GMC grill and tailgate

Modelhaus offered the GMC conversion parts when I bought my pieces about 10 years ago. I'm not sure if there still in business, I heard it closed, about a year or 2 ago, but might have been bought out by another person. Here are my conversion pieces in use on the '60 Flatbed. With a simple hood change the flatbed can become a '62 or '63. The '60-'65 GMC grill has rounded letters, the '66 GMC grill has block letters ( chrome grill in photo). Modelhaus offered the '60-'61 GMC hood and turn signals, '62-'66 hood and turn signals, '60-'65 grill, '66 grill and '60-'66 tailgate insert. The  GMC dashboards  and hubcaps has never been offered to my knowledge.

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Yes, Modelhaus is no longer in business. In addition, the GMC conversion has not been in their catalog for some time, IIRC they were dropped not long after you got yours, Tommy. GM is very touchy about the GMC brand, not mush in the resin aftermarket for GM because if that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I want the same GMC '62-'63 grille too....I'm looking to get the new Revell 1966 Suburban that's coming out soon and WIP a GMC Suburban 4x4 (K1001). I've been looking for that grille to see if anyone has made it since Modelhaus stopped. If anyone has the resin copies available or could cast new ones that would be great. I want to do a 1:1 just like the one Mel Gibson had in "The Man Without a Face" movie. Granted that was a 1962 Suburban with the wrapped windshield so I was thinking of mashing the 1960 AMT Chevy kit cab with the new Revell Suburban. I just need the GMC grille but I guess I'd have to fab it if nothing is available.

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/trucks/85-4409.html#.WNdjWPkrLIU

manwoface frontend.jpg

Edited by Mblur05

Boy, This brings back some old memories of the late 80's early 90's.  I created all of Don Holthaus's GMC grilles and tailgate inserts, as well as the 2-Ton Chevy/GMC cab conversion.  And, yes it is true GM did approach Don with licensing issues and Don decided to pull his GMC products.  I still have my masters, 60-63 (rounded letters) and 64-66 (squared letters), hoods, grills, and tailgate inserts.  I also did Don's 57 Chevy "Apache" grille before AMT came out with theirs.

I found the 64-66 grille on Shapeways. Bill, can you post photos of those GMC items you mentioned, any way you could duplicate them? I requested to Revell that they should do a GMC version and a 4x4 version model of their trucks and the new Suburban. I heard back from them and they liked the idea of having a GMC Suburban for those years. So who knows if they will make a kit especially with the famous GMC V6 that was in their trucks 1960-66.

Soon as I dig them out I'll take some pictures of them, the early years in the later years and the tailgate inserts and Post.  Right now I'm in the middle of a basement remodel so it might take a few weeks to dig them out of storage.   I think Lee my brother still has a set. I'll bug him to see if he can post some pictures sooner probably than when I could get to it. 

Bill

• 2 months later...

Soon as I dig them out I'll take some pictures of them, the early years in the later years and the tailgate inserts and Post.  Right now I'm in the middle of a basement remodel so it might take a few weeks to dig them out of storage.   I think Lee my brother still has a set. I'll bug him to see if he can post some pictures sooner probably than when I could get to it. 

Bill

Hey Bill, I am very interested those 60-66 GMC Resin Truck parts and will buy them. Please let me know when you have them available. thanks

Copy Kat Resins from Tulsa offer the Grill, dash, & Tailgate 15.00 not chromed. They look very good to me, got mine in Kansas City at the Heartland show. He also offer a lot of other goodies, he sold out of everything before the end of the show.

WOULD YOU HAVE A LINK TO THEIR WEBSITE? I TRIED TO GOOGLE IT, BUT NO LUCK

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of the modelhaus  grills and dug them out to try on the new kits guess what they don't fit 

I had to make my own  the hood is to wide and hinges in the wrong place . I had to make  a new grill and hood .I would show a photo but got the good old photobucket that won't let you post anymore

I'm just finished mastering the GMC grille and tailgate. I'll be offering them in the next few weeks for those that are interested. You can reach me at kitchen_table_resins@yahoo.com for details.

Hello, Were you going to by chance post pictures of the 66 GMC grill and tailgate inserts you made by chance? Really would like to see them I am interested. thanks

I've been distracted by summer activities so I'm little behind on this project but here's a pic of what I have. It's nearly ready to go into the rubber. The tailgate is for the Fleetside bed. I've designed them for the Revell 66 kit and they fit fine. I believe they will work on the AMT 60 as well. I plan on testing that tonight. Once these are done I'll tackle the tailgate for the Stepside bed.

GMCGrilleandTailgate-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The shapeway grill is obviously not the same quality of the excellent modelhaus grill, I hope the kopy cat grill is better.

The Shapeways grille was my creation, and you're right, it wasn't a very good rendering, so I have removed it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.