Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/25 2016 Camaro (pre-painted kit)

Brett Barrow

Slapped this together over the weekend as a slumpbuster.  Been a lllooonnnggg time since I finished a car model (to be fair it has been a long time since I worked on any car models!).  Factory Garnet Red paint job was really well done, except for cleaning up the mold lines it's about as good as I could have hoped to do myself.  I polished it out with Tamiya's 3-step polishing system and re-did the trim with flat paint (the factory used gloss).  I added a satin coat over the interior parts to tone down the plasticy shine and it made a huge difference. You can't see in the pics but it has really well-done red panels in the seats and door panels as well as a lot of silver touches in the interior.  I'll try to add a better pic of the interior, it's really nice.  Added a wash in the door lines with Tamiya's panel line wash.  Kit went together really well, it's almost a snap-fit in a lot of places.  I did need to ream out a few holes that had gotten clogged with flash or paint.  It has full engine detail but I'm not a big fan of modern engines so I left most out and tacked the hood shut.  Really fun kit, AMT did a great job on it.  Now that I know how it goes together I really want the 50th Anniversary kit! 

9Mf4Wfr.jpg

V0SXKtU.jpg

Zyt6qo6.jpg

• 11 months later...

Dug this up because I'm working on one of these and I wanted to see how others had handled this kit. 

Color is great on yours! I wish I'd seen the "pre-decorated" ones. I'm working on one supposedly molded in Garnet Red but compared to yours it's more of a washed-out Metallic Rose. I'm polishing the plastic, despite the swirl marks, just to get this different color in my Polished Plastic collection. On the other hand, I was able to deal with all the mold line issues, and there were a LOT of them on this body. I probably had three nights' work just on those. 

Trying to figure out how to handle the headlight area. I've just looked at dozens of google images of real ones and I still don't have a real good handle on what's going on there or how I should paint it. Oh well. I'm driving on and hope to have it on the shelf by next weekend at the latest. 

Anyway, yours looks great! Hope mine comes out as well. B)