Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the best way to make window glass fit more realistic?

With the older kits that have the front and rear glass connected together by two strips, most of the time I cut those away and install the pieces separately.  Where the rear glass has mounting tabs that slip over posts on the underside of the body, I leave those and trim the rear glass until it's barely larger than the window opening.  The edges of the glass can be sanded thin and polished, or painted the same color as the inside of the roof. 

The top edge of the windshield can be hidden beneath scratchbuilt sun visors.  If you plan ahead, you can space the visors down a bit and fit the windshield in such a way as to wedge it in under them at the top without (or with minimal) cement.  A couple of drops of cement, or even silicone, at the corners or in an area just below the windshield pillars at the bottom then hold the glass in, and are themselves hidden by the interior.  On one recent build, I built the underside of the roof up in the areas next to the edges of the windshield and rear glass so the edges can't be seen.  On a shelf model, that's overkill in my opinion, but it does look good.

Another option, and you can find references to it in the forums, is to use clear plastics of the sort used in shirt box lids or other packaging. While it is not great for compound curves, like 50's cars (unless you have the capability to do some vacuum forming), it does great for flat or simple curves. It's thinner and more flexible than the kit "glass", can be attached with CA, and you can use the kit pieces for templates.  I used it for the windscreen in the `23 T Surf Runner in the WIP section, as well as few other builds.