Model Cars Magazine Forum

3-d printers ... $180-$200???

OK ... My son just sent me this vid.   I don't know ANYTHING about these 3D printers ... and I'm sure that someone who paid over $1,000 will tell you that a cheap one ain't no good ... but 3D printers are now down to $180-$200.

I think this could be a game changer ... looks like they are getting more affordable.  I'll be reading more about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ispolAHB4jA

My son and his new wife are barely 30 and have good jobs and no kids.  He tells me he's thinking about this one:  https://www.amazon.com/TEVO-Tarantula-Aluminum-Prusa-Printer/dp/B01MZ0BNOJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489425607&sr=8-4

It's a bit more expensive but, " it's built using a popular open source design , it's upgradeable, and a lot of the upgrades can be done by printing better parts from the machine itself."

Edited by tedd60

3D printers are down to that money; yes. For 180-200 dollars one can buy a lot of parts that will make a 3D printer. However, there is still a lot of differences in quality.

I've been looking into one for some time now and one thing I learned rather quick; step away from those Prusa-clones, they are just not going to cut it. At this point I am heading towards an original Prusa I3, as it seems to be a very solid and good quality 3D printer with good parts on it. But, that is still a 799 dollar (kit) printer.

My brother-in-law is always saying: I am too poor to buy cheap.

I don't know one-way-or-the-other.  I kind of doubt that these things can do the detail scale modelers need ...  not at this price point, not just yet.

But I think we might be getting closer.  As I told my son ... you still gotta learn to run it.

I've been looking into one for some time now and one thing I learned rather quick; step away from those Prusa-clones, they are just not going to cut it.

I understand the concept of not buying cheap and nasty, but...

I bought an Anet A8 Prusa Clone a few months ago and am VERY happy with it. Check the specs and you will find that Prusa clones match machines many times their  price, e.g. 0.1mm layer height. Yes, it is good to print some replacement/upgrade parts for it but this is part of the learning curve. Haha, can your toaster upgrade itself?

My advice is to think about your 3D Printer as a hobby in it's own right. Devote some time to it and you might find yourself hooked. They are quite addictive :-)

Also, think about where you are going to get the files for what you want to print. Yes, you can download almost anything but at some point you will want to draw your own or edit/modify someone else's file so you will want to commit to learning some form of basic 3D CAD program.This applies to any brand or pricepoint of printer but it is important to consider this or you might not get the best from your purchase.

Cheers

Davoski

Dave, we live in an amazing time ... and I think it's about to get even more amazing.

I can see a time, perhaps within the next two years, where you won't buy kits or even cast parts.  You will simply buy the files ... and print out what you want.  It sure will help out with the tires for my MGB racer.

Have you done any model work with your Anet A8 Prusa Clone?  Can it do fine detail work?

I smile every time I see this type of info being posted. Even if the 3D printer is given to you free, it is useless unless you know how to design objects in a 3D CAD program.  Sure, some simple shapes can be fairly easy to learn but if you want to do anything more complex there is a steep and long learning curve.

Have you done any model work with your Anet A8 Prusa Clone?  Can it do fine detail work?

Yep, that is why I bought it. In particular, I want to be able to make my own 1:24 figures because there does not seem to be much on the market.

Fine detail is a relative term. At this pricepoint you need to commit the time to really learn how to tweak the software settings for each job to get the best result. You also need to be prepared to do some post-print cleanup similar to the preparation you would do on a bad kit - some sanding and maybe some surface filling. I need to play with high-fill primers as I suspect they might help, too. Remember, too, that fundamentally the output is only as good as the input so you need to start with a good file.

Have a look at my Facebook page and then go to the 3D Printer Album for my journey of discovery. I am not into hours of sanding so anything you see there is straight off the printer :-)

......it is useless unless you know how to design objects in a 3D CAD program......there is a steep and long learning curve.

Yep, exactly. You can download some amazing stuff but if you get hooked you will want to design your own at some point. I admit that some people will never get their heads around CAD, it is a bit of an acquired taste and requires pretty good spatial awareness and visualisation as well as computer skills.

As I said in my earlier post it is helpful to think of the printer (and then the CAD) as a hobby in it's own right. You need to put in that level of commitment.

I just want to be able to make a hamburger in a 3D printer. I'm hungry.... -RRR

Haha. Patience, grasshopper, one day.....

Cheers

Davoski

Even if the 3D printer is given to you free, it is useless unless you know how to design objects in a 3D CAD program.  Sure, some simple shapes can be fairly easy to learn but if you want to do anything more complex there is a steep and long learning curve.

And didn't we all say the very same thing when the desk top computer came into popularity about 30 years ago.  Now, I got 3 desktops and 2 laptops in my home.  The manufacturers know if these things are too difficult to run, nobody will buy them ... and these things aren't being built just for us scale car builders, there is going to be a HUGE market for them.  As demand grows, somebody will dumb down the learning process, just as they did DOS to Windows, and, of course, there will be a ton of 3D For Dummies books.

Have you seen the advancements made in building and flying model airplanes?  For the past 5 years folks have been designing, scaling up, scaling down adding and changing colors and printing their planes, with details and all, directly onto depron foam ... then cut them out, a bit of assembly and FLY them ... BEAUTIFUL scale model airplanes.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1122519-DH2-Designed-and-printed-with-video

If you want to design your own bits, you'll learn to do it ... but I think most of us will be buying the files, just as most of us buy plastic model car kits, or aftermarket resin parts instead of scratch building them .  I'm sure that a file for a 350 Chevy V8 won't be bound to one scale, say 1/24, either ... it's only takes a bit of math to scale something up from 1/24 to 1/18.  Computers are a lot better at math than I am, and faster.  3D printing is going to make big changes, and I can't see it as anything but GREAT for model builders.  

Edited by tedd60

As someone who bought a budget 3d printer... that is now kinda a paper weight...     If i had to do it all over again... I would just use Shapeways, I could have bought a lot of pieces off of them for the 400.00 I have invested in my printer.   Plus if something cant be printed, they tell you and their software helps you correct it.... eliminates hours of wasted time and experimenting.  Example: I have 3 weeks messing with files, and failed prints to create 1:25 scale 4cyl Head, block and cam cover on my printer that shape-ways would have charged me $7.11 plus shipping and 2 day turn around.

I agree that currently 3d printing is kinda of a hobby in itself... and these budget printers are serving a niche in that market...  getting people interested in 3d printing at a reasonable price point.... That is a great thing!...  But for now, if you are interested in the quality of the parts over the joy of printing yourself... I would suggest putting the time and effort into working in a 3d software package and let shapeways handle the printing.

just my .02...  I do agree that all of this is great for the hobby and creativity in general... and that makes me happy.  :D

As someone who bought a budget 3d printer... that is now kinda a paper weight...     If i had to do it all over again... I would just use Shapeways, I could have bought a lot of pieces off of them for the 400.00 I have invested in my printer.   Plus if something cant be printed, they tell you and their software helps you correct it.... eliminates hours of wasted time and experimenting.  Example: I have 3 weeks messing with files, and failed prints to create 1:25 scale 4cyl Head, block and cam cover on my printer that shape-ways would have charged me $7.11 plus shipping and 2 day turn around.

I agree that currently 3d printing is kinda of a hobby in itself... and these budget printers are serving a niche in that market...  getting people interested in 3d printing at a reasonable price point.... That is a great thing!...  But for now, if you are interested in the quality of the parts over the joy of printing yourself... I would suggest putting the time and effort into working in a 3d software package and let shapeways handle the printing.

just my .02...  I do agree that all of this is great for the hobby and creativity in general... and that makes me happy.  :D

Great perspective Eric, thank you!

I totally agree that 3d printing is a great thing for our hobby but, as Bruce knows and Eric pointed out, this is a poor choice of printer style and is not  suited to make parts in the detail that is required.  As Davo pointed out "be prepared to do some post-print cleanup similar to the preparation you would do on a bad kit - some sanding and maybe some surface filling". Also, you will not get good detail.

Let's take a look at what Davo was talking about. Using his figure printed on his printer, I zoomed in to show you the surface you will have to deal with.

Selection_134.thumb.jpeg.2663ef8ec26e6b4

As a comparison, take a look at this 35mm high print taken of my u.v. resin dlp printer.

20170302_100318.thumb.jpg.b77d6113cf7ea5

It wouldn't be fair if I didn't show a close up.

Selection_135.thumb.jpeg.ce51b165291e932

No post print clean up required.

Which would you rather have. Try printing this on that cheep filament style  3d printer.

20170128_134043.thumb.jpg.7c37bfd1f452a8

Selection_135.bmp

Hi 66,

Yep, you are right, no comparison in quality. But Ted's initial question was about $200 printers rather than the resin dip style machine which I imagine cost quite a bit more. And I am sure my next printer will also be a laser DLP or whatever the next generation of technology brings.

I have tweaked the settings on mine since I printed the example above some weeks ago so I will print it again now and post the result, I know it will be much better. As you know, there are a multitude of combinations of speed and quality settings and it takes some getting used to how and when to apply them.

Please understand that I have no interest in getting into a keyboard battle with anyone. For the money, I am very happy with this machine. It was bought as a trial before spending serious money one day and is serving that purpose very well. I have learned so much from my mistakes that I am planning on making many more.

I also think that Eric is correct in his comments, but judging by the quality of his work he is some type of advanced alien with standards that most of us will never reach! A budget printer will never keep up with his standards. :-)

BTW, what program are you using for CAD? I have been using 123DDesign and am not that happy with it.

As for source files, have you guys seen hum3d.com? Go there and drool! (Then read the fine print).

Cheers

I smile every time I see this type of info being posted. Even if the 3D printer is given to you free, it is useless unless you know how to design objects in a 3D CAD program.  Sure, some simple shapes can be fairly easy to learn but if you want to do anything more complex there is a steep and long learning curve.

I figure the hobby industry will adapt in that I can see how there could be companies selling a file with say, a few car bodies, engines or maybe a whole kit on it and you purchase the file, download it and print it out for assembly. I imagine it would also be a boon for the tech savvy hobbyist who knows his way around a CAD program. He could design a conversion kit or recreate the parts for some long gone rare kit and sell the files online rather than having to make the parts and sell them by mail or at shows.

You guys are losing me on this purchasing designs or getting free pre-made files and just printing them on your own printer. How is that different than buying a plastic model kit, some resin model, or detail parts?  You can buy those without spending money on your own 3D printer and having the hassle of maintaining it.  To me the reason to own a 3D printer is so I could design and print my own unique items not available elsewhere.

Yes, Davo, Ted showed these cheap fdm filament printers in his opening post. He, who knows little about desktop 3d printing, wanted to learn more. The 3d printer in my avatar was built by me. It's a Prusa I3 that I built in 2013. I know quite well what the limitations of this style printer are and I just showed people some. As far as sla being quite expense, guess what. The latest release is a whopping $399.   

Edited by my66s55

this I whole heartedly agree. It is not easy to learn the 3d program if you want to get some serious parts from the printer.

You guys are losing me on this purchasing designs or getting free pre-made files and just printing them on your own printer. How is that different than buying a plastic model kit, some resin model, or detail parts?  You can buy those without spending money on your own 3D printer and having the hassle of maintaining it.  To me the reason to own a 3D printer is so I could design and print my own unique items not available elsewhere.

Instant gratification to start with. No waiting for parts. The ability to create your own parts. Take my Chrysler 318 poly engine build. People have  expressed interest in getting one from me.  There is really, currently, isn't anything on the market. I am now in the process of making molds and casting the duel quad engine. That's time and money. If could sell the files right now, it would be cost effective for both parties. Also, another advantage of the sla resin printers besides quality is that they as have very low, if any, maintenance.

Edited by my66s55