Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wild Idea Kit-Bash 57 Belair and 74 Chevy Van - FINISHED

Had a wild idea after looking for van build ideas and saw a car painted on the side of a van. That gave me the wild idea to play with plastic and blend the side of a car body on to it.

Photo_2017-03-08_22-31-17.thumb.jpg.8611

It's only plastic right! Decided to us ethe front grill/bumper on the front but of course it is about .60" wider now, so I had to section and splice it to make it longer. 

Photo_2017-03-11_12-57-26.thumb.jpg.d38ePhoto_2017-03-12_09-52-25.thumb.jpg.910d

Photo_2017-03-11_16-18-55.thumb.jpg.adf4

Just threw on some color, kinda liking the high-contrast on this crazy concept so far.

Photo_2017-03-13_08-30-46.thumb.jpg.6cef

Edited by RestoModGuy

Amazing idea, love it.

Wonder what it would look like with a chopped roof... so to speak.

57_chevy_van.jpg

Nice photoshop work...  I like without the roof too... Thanks to do this...

Yes, thought at first that was the way to go, then decided to fully capture the car / van concept. At first I thought about making this a full detail build with opening doors on the Belair and iinterior of the 57 and a van "cockpit" area. The more work I listed out I decided to make this a curbside no opening doors or details. 

Hello Guys, thanks for the comments.

Jim, will you be blacking out all of the glass, then?

It looks like the leading edge of the 57 door matches up well with the trailing edge of the van door. Scribing in van door lines through the 57's front fender should be a breeze.

Eagerly watching this build; thanks so much for bringing this idea to life.

Hello Guys, thanks for the comments.

Jim, will you be blacking out all of the glass, then?

It looks like the leading edge of the 57 door matches up well with the trailing edge of the van door. Scribing in van door lines through the 57's front fender should be a breeze.

Eagerly watching this build; thanks so much for bringing this idea to life.

Yes, blacking out the glass. I intended to have the 57 doors be the entry and exit of the van. I molded in the van van door lines for this reason. I decided this build was not going to be a full detail build, so opening the doors and a full interior are not part of the plan. This really started out as a "what-if" idea build.

I finally have the final finish and BMF completed and next to assembly. I'll post more when I have it sitting on wheels 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...